Replacement cap for water deck fill

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

sailorbob

Replacement cap for water deck fill

Post by sailorbob »

The "safety" chain for the cap on the aft water tank gave up the ghost and the cap is now on the bottom. I bought a replacement cap (brand Whitecap) from West Marine, but it will not thread all the way down flush into the deck fill, so I don't think it's sealed - a big deal since this is potable water I drink. I contacted Catalina and they directed me to Gem Products. Gem informed me that the threading has changed so a new cap will not fit an old deck fitting. They sent me a whole new deck fill. The old deck fill seems to be very securely bedded. Is it 5200 or something similarly bedded forever?

Has anyone replaced the cap successfully? Has anyone swapped out the old deck fill with a new one? How did you get the old one out?

Thanks.

Bob
Second Wind #301
KenKrawford

Re: Replacement cap for water deck fill

Post by KenKrawford »

Bob,
I removed my deck fill to replace the chain that has severely corroded. It is definitely not bedded with 5200. Mine came up fairly easily by sliding a putty knife around the flange and gently prying up.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
sailorbob

Re: Replacement cap for water deck fill

Post by sailorbob »

Thanks, Ken! A dock neighbor of ours spent 20 years in a machine shop. He suggested running a triangular file through the threads on the replacement cap to open them up a little. After about a half hours' work, I got the replacement cap and O ring to thread all the way, and, most importantly, seat the O ring in the deck fill so that it would seal. I will keep the replacement deck fill in reserve. Good to know that it is not bedded with 5200 in case I ever have to replace it. Those safety chains are not particularly durable, particularly if they are exposed to chlorine bleach like mine are every spring, when I bleach the tanks to sanitize them for the season. I have just scrapped the chains and so am VERY careful removing the caps.

Bob
Second Wind #301