Fresh Water Check Valve

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

dpaulo

Fresh Water Check Valve

Post by dpaulo »

Is there a check valve between the fresh water tanks and the Shur-Flo pump under the galley sink, and if so, where is it? My water pump has been "burping" and I can find no water leak or air in the lines and I wonder if a check valve would help maintain pressure.

Also, the Shur-Flo pump on my 2003 is rather loud. I wonder whether newer pumps run quieter? Captain Dan
lyle

Re: Fresh Water Check Valve

Post by lyle »

My pump was doing the same thing during the summer. (2005 Hull #363). It eventually went away on it's own but my guess it was caused by the pressure switch on the pump itself. I had no leaks either. You can replace just the pressure switch but I think mine was caused my a minute dirt particle or something in the pressure pump which is why it cured itself eventually. I was nowhere near a marine store and out on the boat for a couple of weeks so in the meantime I just turned the pump off at night to stop the cycling. I don't believe there is a check valve between the pump and the tank.
wcconway

Re: Fresh Water Check Valve

Post by wcconway »

We had the same problem with our new 2008 Mark II last year and contacted Shurflo. It "burped" every 5-7 minutes. They sent a replacement checkvalve. Our pump is an AquaKing 12V model #: 3901-0206; 3gph

Here is the contact info if you want to ask for his advice:

Kevin.McLean@Pentair.com
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida