Galley faucet spray head

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Galley faucet spray head

Post by KenKrawford »

Yesterday I noticed that the end of my sprayer was cracked and water was shooting out the cracks. Has anyone had to replace theirs yet? Any chance that this could be replaced with an "off the shelf" product rather than a marine branded product?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Whitehook

Post by Whitehook »

This also happened to me and the spray head was replaced by Catalina. Try giving Warren Pandy a call.

Greg Klocek
sv Whitehook #199
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Thanks, Gary. Do you have either an email address or phone number for Warren?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Whitehook

Post by Whitehook »

Ken,

You can reach Warren at:

warren@catalinayachts.com

He gets a lot of traffic so give him a chance, but he will reply.

Greg Klocek
sv Whitehook #!99
Terry Ryan

Re: Galley faucet spray head

Post by Terry Ryan »

If anyone has successfully replaced the galley spray head I'd love to hear how.

The flexible protective wrap around the water supply to the spray head has separated. Seemed simple enough to replace....even found local supply of parts that would fit. But I CANNOT get the female end of the new spray head hose to go down the opening....no matter how much I try. Normally, just loosening the spray/valve assembly would do the trick. But it is held in place from underneath with a standard plumbers type of nut but while I can source the appropriate tool to loosen the nut, the tool was never designed to accommodate the low clearances caused by the deep sink + tight clearance to the cabinet that is the case in this situation. I talked to another Catalina owner (320 I believe) and they gave up in frustration and had to cut an access hole in the forward side of the cabinet and then cover it with a panel later on.
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

I replaced the entire faucet with a Delta faucet: Model 70529. As it was impossible to loosen the undercounter nut, I disassembled the old faucet from the top down. It came out eventually in fifty pieces. The Delta unit has a long threaded pipe containing the hot, cold, and faucet pullout. You will eventually thread on the washer and retaining nut on, but will never be able to tighten due to space limitations, therefore you must make an extension so the retaining nut/washer will be lower and more easily tightened with a basin wrench.
I made my extension out of 1 1/4 in PVC pipe approx. 2 - 2 1/2 in. long. Works great, looks wonderful, and updates the whole look of the galley/salon.
tranquilcat42

Post by tranquilcat42 »

Fat Cat did a great upgrade and, fortunately, my sprayer head broke off in a manner that only required a new sprayer head and gasket.

Found a match at Defender, Item # 503338 SCANDVIK Replacement sprayer handle 14023 $34.99
Scandvik Replacement Sprayer Handle
Designed for Models 10626, 10880 and 10871
Material: Chromed Plastic
Thread Type: 1/2" Male, Straight NPT

Item #: 503338
Brand: Scandvik
Model #: 14023
Shipping Weight: 0.30 Lbs.
List Price: $40.00
Our Price: $34.99

Arrived quickly. Needed a gasket from the hardware store to make it work properly and replace the white, cylinderical unit inside that pulsates while in use. Has the little notch on the sprayer base that fits into the base unit on the sink.

Warren Pandy thinks the original unit was made by Aravon in Italy.
Steve A

Post by Steve A »

I'm looking to replace the sprayer handle only. I'm planning to order the Scandvik replacement sprayer handle mentioned in this thread. Defender has it in stock for $38.99. It appears that the handle can be unscrewed from the flex hose. There's a groove where a wrench can fit. But I can't get the thing to budge. I sure don't want to replace the hose and have to try to attach it to the pipe under the sink. Am I right that the handle can be screwed off? Any suggestions on how to do that?

Steve
sv Jester # 0160
Steve Abdow
S/V Jester, Hull 160
S. Dartmouth, MA
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

I just went through dealing with the galley faucet a week and a half ago on hull 325 in Ft. Myers. In my case, the spray head was cracked and the metal sheathing on the hose was broken and had been electrical taped by a previous owner. Access is near impossible but what I did that seemed to work well was manually unscrewing the entire faucet by hand from the top of the sink. hacksawing the metal hot and cold water tubes to remove the assembly except for the brass flange left behind. I had no way to secure the nut underneath so I used the cantilevered hacksaw to make radial cuts on the top of the flange right at the angle where the horizontal part dove into the inner aspect of the vertical part. Channel lock pliers then compressed the newly cut grooves at the rate of about 1 mm. each so it took a few cuts but eventually the OD of the tube was small enough to be removed from below without having to deal with the nut under the sink top. The replacement faucet from Loew's required a shim under the new large nut because there just wasn't enough diameter around the underside of the sink to fit the washer or even the nut all the way to a flat surface. Any questions PM me and happy to talk about it. I read elsewhere on this site about someone who was able to unscrew the nut with a specialized plumber's wrench but the one I tried just wouldn't fit..
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

I r/r my galley faucet. I used a "crows foot wrench" and a long extension to remove the nuts and hoses under the counter to release the parts.
Look at these wrenches and see if they would have helped you.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
digitalvillager

Post by digitalvillager »

You should be able to unscrew the head from the hose (may require some liquid wrench, etc) and replace with a variety of options from Loew's. We replace with a low flow chrome finished plastic faucet that fit perfectly and added a modern touch to the sink.
Charlie & Jeanne Monroe
PO Hull #285
Amelia Island, Florida
Steve A

Post by Steve A »

Thanks for the suggestions, mates!
Steve Abdow
S/V Jester, Hull 160
S. Dartmouth, MA
MorningStar

Post by MorningStar »

The only way I was able to replace the hose was remove the sink with the faucet connected. I tried everything and was cruising at the time. Eventually disconnected the water and drain and the sink lifted right out.
Barry Dupuy
s/v Morning Star #35