Wanted: Salon Dinette to Double Berth Conversion Kit

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

Boz

Wanted: Salon Dinette to Double Berth Conversion Kit

Post by Boz »

Hope this is going under right forum...we are in midst of outfitting the interior of our recently purchased 2003 C350 (Hull #23), which did not come with the dinette table to berth conversion - and we want/need it, haha. We have the two sizes of tables, but need the folding bench, short posts and berth cushions. Reading the forums and such, it appears some owners end up just storing their folding bench, etc at home/cottage and never use it.

I have spoken to Warren Pandy at Catalina, and before looking at having those pieces built and shipped, I thought I would check and see if anyone would like to sell any their conversion pieces. The folding bench is of the greatest interest to us, as i could have the other items made to fit.

Thanks so much,
Andy
Wisail

Re: Wanted: Salon Dinette to Double Berth Conversion Kit

Post by Wisail »

Andy
I went a different way.
Here are my opinions on the tables. The cocktail table is useless. The big table is too large. Blocks the flow of the saloon and access to the quarter birth. It also is so long it restricts access to the seat so that you have to slide in and around from nav station.
The shape makes sleeping two not good. The bench is a pain to stow, slides around, and is uncomfortable. (Best location is under table between seat and “pipes”)
So I made a new table and folding seat. Shorter so that you can use space aft of head bulkhead as access to seat. Narrowed to create better flow. (Amazing what 5-6 inches will do). New folding seat that completes space aft of bulkhead. This seat is sturdy and fills space when converted to a berth. Smaller cushion for table still does need stowage in quarter berth. Bench fits well in the side “step” area in the v-berth underway. This berth is roomy, works well for one. Left down it is a nice lounge with less blockage in saloon. (Not so much underway)
We mostly dine in the cockpit unless weather is very crappy. Then the table below still works by seating three on the seat and one on the stool. The stool uses the bulkhead as a backrest. We are very happy with change.
Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Wisail -

Would love to see some pics of the table and folding seat that you built. Am planning a mid-sized table myself.

Bob
Guinevere
Boz

Post by Boz »

Thanks so much for the response and insight Wisail...I echo Bob's request, if you have any photos of what you did, it would be greatly appreciated. I am open to ideas, all I know is with two kids and guests, we do need some form of seating on the other side of the dinette table that can still be used to convert the port side to a somewhat comfy berth. I look forward to seeing the type of bench you built...thanks very much.
Wisail

Post by Wisail »

Strangely I didnt take any photos of the project when I finished.
I do have the old table that I cut down to use as a template for the bed cushion and cherry (couldn’t see paying for teak) top. The existing table is plywood with veneer and edge boards.
I will be going up in the next couple of weeks to check the boat and get a winter project started.
I will take pics then.

Jeff Jones
SV “Donna Marie”
Sandusky Ohio.
Boz

Post by Boz »

Much appreciated Jeff...look forward to seeing the pics. Thanks again!
BillBerner

Post by BillBerner »

I have the dinette conversion kit, that I would be happy to part with. Kids grown, down to the admiral and myself.
It’s in excellent condition. I bought it from Catalina after I got my 2003 #66.
Green/Grey “leather” on the cushion and bench seat.
Not sure if I have pictures, but will happily guarantee that the condition is as described.
250 + shipping (or pu if you’re in the NYC area)
Contact me off list at billberner@me.com
If you’re interested.
Thanks

Bill B
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

I am also looking at tackling the small table this winter as a project and would like to see any pics, hear any comments along with dimensions on the reworked table.
A few years back I had the original large table rebuilt by a carpenter friend to the same dimensions and added a compass rose overlay and used two types of wood to get a visual contrast but the end product was a bit of a dogs breakfast. Ideally in my minds eye the table should be sized something in between the large and small tables. If the large table was maybe 6-8" less deep on its long side allowing an easier walk through path to the front berth and also 6" shorter at the end near the bulkhead so that anyone sat in the front corner could get in and out easier it would be a more useable table?
The small table, as is, is just too small for a couple to have dinner on.
I like the way that the large table follows the same seating angle over the battery box and would like to retain that but if someone has done something novel and would like to share please do so.
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

In June, we purchased a 2005 C350 complete with a never used dinette conversion kit. White faux leather with a small table and short legs.
We would like to sell for the first reasonable offer. We are in Toronto, so you can pick it up or we can arrange to ship.
Hoppy to provide images, but they are too large for this message board. If you are interested, please provide an email.
Kingofcary

Post by Kingofcary »

Hi Folks ... I just want the short legs so i can use large top as double berth .... I have unsuccessfully tried to find. Anyone have a set or know how to get .. thank you ... Dennis
TEM58

Post by TEM58 »

Dennis,
Did you already take a look at this https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by- ... hResults=1 ? I didn’t see the diameter listed so it may not be a direct replacement. Also, I know https://marine-products.com/collections/garelick has several options. Good luck.
Tim Meredith
Perfect Match II
2003 #35
Belton, TX
Boat currently Punta Gorda, FL