Cockpit Cushions

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

Interlude35

Cockpit Cushions

Post by Interlude35 »

Does anyone know a good place to get cockpit cushions for my 350 in CT? If you have cushions, do you use just port and starboard or all seating areas? Thanks.
russp

Re: Cockpit Cushions

Post by russp »

Hi Interlude (?),

We use all as usually want to sit to windward, or have too many people on board for just one side, and the pushpit seats get a lot of use. One suggestion if you are getting them made, make the cushion over the sail locker about 1" longer in either direction, and the cushions fore and aft of it, 1" shorter. This will allow you to access the sail locker while you have the cushions fitted. If cushions are same size as locker you pinch the cushions either side when you try to close it and it is a pain underway.

Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

We use the fitted seat cushions while at anchor. When underway we use two of the West Marine go-anywhere-seats. They fold flat so you can use them as portable cockpit seats depending on where you are seating. They also work great with the backrest is up; the base of the seat just aft of the winches with the backrest against the pushpit. Under sail I like to sit higher with my feet on the cockpit seats so I can see forward easier. Having some cushion helps.

Since they are portable they are easy to move out of the way if you are standing up and walking on the seats in the cockpit to see better, go forward, etc.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Most of Catalina's upholstery including cockpit cushions were made by JSI in Saint  Petersburg, FL - http://www.newjsi.com/Custom%20Exterior%20Cushions.aspx

I've found them pretty easy to work with.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
ps23435

Post by ps23435 »

We haven't had new cushions made, but if I did I would consider closed cell foam cushions instead of the vinyl covered open foam. When we got the boat the cushions had been left out and gotten wet from condensation or rain; the vinyl is not totally waterproof so the inside foam had soaked and caused mildew on the inside which took a bit of cleaning (now we take the cushions in when not in use). I think closed cell foam cushions would alleviate this issue. While at the Miami sailboat show we talked to the owner of C Cushions (http://www.ccushions.com/) ... seems to have a decent product and did have the template for the 350 cockpit. Just a thought...
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
Interlude35

Post by Interlude35 »

Thank you for all the helpful advice!