Gelcoat question

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Gelcoat question

Post by TBOT422 »

We have a small chip about the size of your thumbnail that exposes the fiberglass in the anchor locker that I want to repair. I bought a gelcoat repair kit at West Marine. It says it is a polyester gelcoat and the it will not bond to epoxy. My first question is, what's the boat? I would assume that the fiberglass is all epoxy resin based. Is there even an 'epoxy' gelcoat that I should be using, or is this just a manufacturer's disclaimer of responsibility? I've filled small scratches before with the premixed gelcoat tubes (that don't match very well), but this will be my first 'major' repair and I want to do it right. Luckily it is inside the anchor locker, so if I screw it up badly, it won't show.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

BTW, I spent yesterday re-splicing the anchor rode to the chain with an 'elongated splice' and removed all the shackles, thimbles, etc. that hang up when going through the windlass. The elongated splice simply weaves the 3 strands through the first 10-12 links of the chain and ends up being the same size and flexibility as the chain. Hopefully it will run through the windlass freely and smoothly now.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Triumph

Re: Gelcoat question

Post by Triumph »

This might be a good place to try "Marinetex" in white. It's a strong patch material, easy to work with and sand. I found that it comes very close to the white gel coat on our boats. That's what I'd do.
Bill on TRIUMPH
yodagwb

Re: Gelcoat question

Post by yodagwb »

It should be polyester epoxy it the anchor locker. The bulk of the boat I believe is polyester with the finish layer being vinylester epoxy below the water line