Hull ID number

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

BillBerner

Hull ID number

Post by BillBerner »

Can any body tell me where I can find the complete hull ID number?
Expected to see it stamped into the transom somewhere, but couldn't see it

Thanks

Bill Berner
C350 #66
Stamford, ct
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
AynB

Re: Hull ID number

Post by AynB »

It's not on the transom ( it's not a little boat! :-) ).
The number will be found to starboard just below the rubrail - well aft.
al
AynB

Post by AynB »

I knew I had a photo of our surveyor getting the HIN...
al
Attachments
PICT1538.JPG
PICT1538.JPG (147.8 KiB) Viewed 6606 times
BillBerner

Post by BillBerner »

Excellent!
Thankyou.

Bill Berner
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
SeaBreeze78

Post by SeaBreeze78 »

Greetings all:

My Hull Identification Number (HIN) is CTYV0078A303.

I believe I have deciphered all but the “V”. The CTY denotes Catalina. The 0078 denotes the hull number. I believe the “A3” denotes August. of the year 2003. “03” Definitely denotes the Model year 2003.

I know the other fleets have a letter denoting there fleet. I believe the C22 is a “N”.

Does the “V” only mean the C350? Does it by chance also define it further that my C350 has a Wing Keel?

Thanks in advance to any who can shed light on this,

Dana
Sea Breeze
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Dana you are correct. The V designates the boat as a 350 model. I believe all Catalina hull numbers conform to the same coding shown below.

Hull Identification Number Decoding

CTYV0078A303

CTY= First three letters.
This is the Manufacturer Identification Code for Catalina Yachts, Inc. It is on all Catalina boats.

C = Next single letter.
This is a letter that indicates the model type. A “V” in this position indicates a “Catalina 350” model. (Whereas an “H” is a “Catalina 22” model, etc.)

0499 = Next four numbers.
This is the hull serial number. It is a number assigned to a hull, numerically in order as each boat is produced. So the first hull is “0001”, the fiftieth hull is “0050”, etc. Only one boat of that model will have that number – it is unique to the model. This number is the number you can use on your sails. And since it tells you where your boat fits in production order, it tells you a great deal of information about the modifications your boat may have.

A3 = Next letter and number.
This is the manufacturing date. It is the date the hull was produced – the calendar year and month that the boat was built.

I = The Next letter
This indicates the month of manufacture

A = Jan D = Apr G = Jul J = Oct

B = Feb E = May H = Aug K = Nov

C = Mar F = Jun I = Sept L = Dec

7= The next number
Is the last number of the year that the boat was manufactured. So for example, “3” is a boat that was manufactured in 2003. It is either the same year as the model year (below), or the year prior.

03 = The final two numbers.
This is the model year of the boat. So for example, “03” is a 2003 model year boat.

Finding this number etched in the gelcoat on the starboard aft quarter of the boat can sometimes be difficult especially if the hull has been compounded a few times. Laying a piece of tissue or tracing paper laid over the area and then lightly running a pencil will help bring out a faded hull number.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

A bit off topic but this thread brought up a question that I could never find the answer to...

How many 350s (original design, not Mark II, 355s, etc) did Catalina make?

Bob
Guinevere