Freshwater leaking into the bilge

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tom

Post by tom »

Whisper II calling from Downunder (Sydney Australia), where it rains a lot at times. When it rains I get fresh water in the bilge, seems to come from up forward - I can see a trail of water coming from the bow section, via the inspection opening in the forward cabin where the boatspeed insert is - this water then drains down into the bilge area and is of course pumped out via the automatic bilge pump - but there is always a nasty looking bit left, goes a rotten colour if you don't sponge it out, which is pretty tiresome after a heavy downpour. Any ideas on where it is coming from - have discounted forward freshwater tank by overfilling it, and no freshwater comes in - only seems to appear after heavy rain.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Tom,
I have the same problem, although to a lesser degree than you. I'm not sure but suspect it may be around the inspection port cover in the front of the anchor locker. You could remove the access panel for the windlass in the front of the V berth and peek around there to see if water is getting in. Otherwise, a leaky stanchion base could be another possibility.
Good luck.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA

Fresh water in bildge

Post by Guest »

I also have this problem. I was thinking it was coming from the mast, but I have not been able to proove it. I'll keep looking. I try to keep my bildge dry. Has anyone out there been successful at this? Is this a problem on all of C350s?
Nelson Gainey
Last Boat
C350 #345
tjr350

Post by tjr350 »

Before my 350 ever went into the water, I discovered 3" of water in the bilge after a heavy rain of 3". The dealer explained that the mast admits water from the many openings it has on its surface. Normally this water escapes at the bottom of the mast at the deck plate. In a heavy downpour, the water level inside the mast can build up to where it overflows the short cup in the center of the deck plate through which the wiring passes. I have checked periodically and the bilge has been fairly dry since that heavy rain event. It seems like a plausible explanation to me.
:wink:
Tim
C350 #332
Nora Clare
Copacetic

Post by Copacetic »

tjr350 wrote:Normally this water escapes at the bottom of the mast at the deck plate.
Which probably need to be unobstructed. These weep holes might be plugged up with debris. Might be worth checking.
Scott Townsend
Copacetic #190
Oceanside CA
R.B.

Following Clues

Post by R.B. »

Something I read elsewhere when trying to find leaks. Use a kids water soluable marker (Crayola) and draw lines horizontally across the hull surface where you think you are getting a leak. After leakage, check your marker lines to see if water washed the colour away. Afterwards you can just wipe the coloured lines away.

Good Luck.

R.B.
Last Boat

Water in the Bildge

Post by Last Boat »

After crawling into, on top of, around, and under all nooks and crainies of my boat, I have identified my cause for water in the Bildge (rain water and sea water when the bow dives below the waterline) The source is a little complicated to write, but I will do my best and if you wish to contact me, 252-937-2800(1320). When the anchor roller is installed, it fits over the head stay attachment and is caulked and bolted on to the deck. In my case, there wasn't enought cauking placed at the aft end of the head stay attachment and left an opening of about 1/4 inch to allow water to enter the hull in front of the anchor locker which in turn goes into the bildge. You need to enter the anchor locker and take the inspection plate (oblong 4x10 with 4 screws) off so you can see/feel the results when you pour a small amount of water into the middle and forward area of the twin anchor rollers. The FIX is to heavly calk the area around the head stay attachment. I discussed with Warren at Catalina and he said that area along with most other weight bearing areas of our boat is solid glass so there will be NO long term effect such as delamination, etc...
Nelson Gainey
Last Boat
C350 #345
jdamann

What about winter

Post by jdamann »

I just returned from "Just Add Wind". Since it's winter here, she is on the hard. I was very surprised by what I found in the bilge. About 3" of water up forward by the pump. FROZEN....as a result the pump would not work either. Should I be concerned? I am also puzzled about the source. Not much rain since I last checked her and only about an inch of snow. Any ideas where it might be coming from?
Happy Sailing

John

"Just Add Wind" 347
tom

Post by tom »

After some fiddling around I think I may have, (here's hoping), found an answer to my problem. My boat has in mast furling, which means there is a considerable area open to the weather, especially if it is coming from aft. When there is heavy rain, I get the problem. Upon hosing the openings in the mast I found I get the problem, water dripping into the bilge along the wiring that comes down from the mast. In discussions with the dealer, it seems there is a flexibile tube that carries the wiring from the foot of the mast to the area under the washbasin where the various wires are connected to a panel. It seems the problem might be related to the height of that tubing when the mast was stepped. If it is not high enough, the build up of water upon heavy rain means the bottom of the mast does not drain quickly enough and the water builds up, and comes down the flexible tubing housing the wiring from the mast. This is a theory that I will pursue with the dealer. It may mean re-stepping the mast to sort it out. I still get a very small amount of fresh water which seems to come from up forward when there is heavy rain, and I have not been able to solve this. Any comments on how I think it is coming from the mast from those with in mast furling ?

Regards,

Tom
Whisper II
# 278 Sydney Australia.
Tim OSullivan

FRESH WATER IN THE BILGE

Post by Tim OSullivan »

I have had the same problem since I bought the boat but could never figure out where the water was coming from until last night when my bilge started filling up so fast i thought I the boat was sinking. If you want to call it luck, the hose came loose from my water heater and started pumping out my aft tank. Now i realize that the water in my bilge was a small leak the entire time caused by a broken hose clamp. For quite some time I thought my fresh water pump pressure requlator was going bad because it would cycle on every once in a while with no demand. However, it was working correctly and compensating for my hose leak. So if you have any of the same symptoms I suggest you look real close at the clamps and fittings around the hot water heater. My bilge is now dry as a bone! :D

Tim, Hull 322
Timothy J O"Sullivan
Seaquel
hull # 322
Allsail

Leaks

Post by Allsail »

I finally had a chance to check my boat in response to Nelson Gainey's post regarding a leak around where the head stay tang and anchor roller intersect and found the same void as Nelson. The problem is that it is an area that is hard to reach with caulking... either from below or above.

In any event, i wanted to thank Nelson for sending me a pic and saving me a lot time in locating this problem. I hope this fixes the only leak, knock on wood, that i have experienced on my 350. Moreover, i agree with the people who say it is nice to return to your boat and find a dry bilge... just something about it that feels good.

Allsail #326
LONGHAWK

headstay tang leak

Post by LONGHAWK »

I found that using a plastic drinking straw held onto a small tube of sealer works well. It will deform enough to squeeze down into that difficult slot.
Sam
LONGHAWK # 173
TBOT422

Re: Freshwater leaking into the bilge

Post by TBOT422 »

Any new thoughts on fixing the leak around the forestay tang? Is it better/easier to caulk from underneath or topside between the anchor rollers? My thinking is topside would be more efficient, but probably look awful since you can't easiy get to it. Even clear silicone eventually turns grey and dingy. Any thoughts on what type of sealant/caulk to use? I haven't taken the time to investigate what type of access is available on the underside forward of the anchor locker. At least the mess wouldn't be visible, but it also probably wouldn't work as well.

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)