Propellar growth

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

John Z

Propellar growth

Post by John Z »

I am interested to determine the best method to prepare the propellar for launching this spring. When she came out of the water in October the propellar had quite a bit of growth. Is there any recommended treatment to prepare the propellar for launching with the objective of limiting or eliminating sea growth during the inwater season. Appreciate your advice and comment.

John Z
"Outstanding"
#472 Catalina 350
Rhode Island
Hans Grasman

Re: Propellar growth

Post by Hans Grasman »

John,
In Florida we have a lot of barnacles on the prop and slime on the bottom hull. We use divers to clean them.
We do that monthly during the summer months and bi-monthly during the winter months.
Cost $70.00 per cleaning.
I guess in Rhode Island every other month in the season will do.
You do not have gators there so maybe you can do it yourself.
Happy New Year !
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

This may sound odd to you, but I have developed formula to keep the prop clean. I live in Florida, and the growth on our props is really bad. I couldn't find anything that worked, so i developed something after doing much research. I only sell this kit to my friends locally, but I will sell you a kit for $25. My prop usually stays clean for about 16-18 months. I'm trying to perfect the formula to last longer than that.
It is an easy do it yourself process. Let me know if you'd like to try it this spring.
Hans Grasman

Post by Hans Grasman »

Bill,
Yes, I would like to try it. Planning to haul the boat in April or May for a paint job.
That would be a good time to apply the prop cleaning formula.
Please give me your address and let me know total cost incl. S-H.
Thank you !
E-Mail: Hagra@aol.com
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Email me at theshademaker@gmail.com and I will send you the instructions on the application so you can see what you'd be doing, it's a series of paint applications, four in all. If you want to use it, contact me later. By the way, I'll be cruising the Bahamas March through April. If you plan to do it before May, let me know.

Bill
s/v TRIUMPH