Catalina Gray streaks

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tjr350

Catalina Gray streaks

Post by tjr350 »

Has anyone found a cure for the infamous gray streaks that form down the hull sides at the scuppers? Whats the best product to remove them? Can we get this topic in Mainsheet so that Gerry Douglas could comment? I bet Gerry could engineer a quick and inexpensive fix that could be made available to all Catalina owners. I'd rather spend my time sailing and not scrubbing.
Thanks.
Tim #332
Triumph

dirt down the side

Post by Triumph »

I wash the dirt off wth soap and warm water ... This is not an issue for Catalina. It's boat maintenance. What I'd like to see is a way to catch water off the decks and fill the water tanks. this is where you'd stop up the scuppers, and open the water fill. If you're cruising the Bahamas, this would be a comfort.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Tim,
I've struggled with the same problem. I've seen some people put on adhesive backed plastic pieces that they cut from weather stripping. Personally, I don't like the way they look on the boat but they do seem to work.
The best product I've found to remove the streaks is Meguiars Cleaner Wax. I use the one they sell in the auto section of Walmart. It's about $5-6 per bottle and works great. The "boat" version at West Marine is about $16.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
gpringle

dirt streaks

Post by gpringle »

We had pretty good luck with Roll Off. When I washed down the deck is would naturally run down the scuppers and down the sides.

The stuff is a bit pricey but I think it's worth it. Wet down a section, spray it on and let it sit for 5 min before rinsing it off.

The streaks were barely noticeable.

-george

Chips Ahoy! #232
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

One of the products we use are the Mr Clean Magic Erase pads. It seems to work well and quickly. The grey streaks (IMHO) are from polluted or acid rain. I notice when docked in industrial areas, more occurances of the streaks then the areas that aren't as close to industries.

R.B.
jnnielsen
Site Admin

Air pollution does make it worse

Post by jnnielsen »

R. B.,

I agree. We're in Marina del Rey, CA right near LAX. Those jets going over all the time are contribuitng to my streaks, I'm sure.

Jerry Nielsen