Prop nut zincs revisited

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

EvenKeel

Prop nut zincs revisited

Post by EvenKeel »

Once again, I'm 2 1/2 hrs away from Even Keel II and need a measurement.

After reading all of the posts about prop-nut and shaft zincs, it's still not clear to me. I currently have a prop-nut zinc and no room for a shaft zinc. I've seen recommendation for a Camp P-3 and P-5, and the association maintenance schedule calls for Camp ZPC-1, 2, or 3 (which I assume are shaft collars). Is the shaft on a 350 1" diam. with 3/4 x 10 threads? 1 1/4" with 7/8 x 9 thread? Has anybody used a prop-nut zinc from Canada Metal?

It's 17 degrees here in Pennsylvania today. Fr*(#$%@!! groundhog....

Gary
Even Keel II #288
tjr350

Re: Prop nut zincs revisited

Post by tjr350 »

Gary,
I believe that it is a 1" shaft with 3/4" threads. I just installed the Camp ZPC -3. It is a prop nut zinc and I believe camp is a canadian company. The ZPC-3 is the largest and is the best fit for me and my 350. This will be the second season with the ZPC-3. In prior years I used the ZPC-2 and there was precious little left at season's end. Just splashed today. Evidently, metal prices are up. I thought I was paying for a "gold" zinc. The 350 can only take a prop nut zinc. There is not enough shaft exposed to use any other.
Tim
Nora Clare #332
EvenKeel

Re: Prop nut zincs revisited

Post by EvenKeel »

Thanks, Tim. I ended up with the Canada Metals from Defender (#204304) which fit fine, though I'm a bit worried that the zinc part is held by one hex key bolt. We'll see if it spins itself off next time I dive to scrape the barnacles.

Gary