crack in the wing keel

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Steve A

crack in the wing keel

Post by Steve A »

I managed to bounce off a rock going through Woods Hole. Big, glancing strike. I had a diver inspect it and he found where on the keel it struck and a thin crack under the hull in the keel well above the wing. He tells me that he has seen lots of these and he doesn't think it's mandatory that I pull the boat out yet. I usually go out of the water in early October. The bilge is dry, and the bolts in it look good. What say any of you about waiting to pull it?

Once pulled I am wondering if the crack may have exposed the stainless bolts to sea water and am concerned about corrosion. Anyone know how the wing keels are put together?
Steve Abdow
S/V Jester, Hull 160
S. Dartmouth, MA
wolfe10

Re: crack in the wing keel

Post by wolfe10 »

Steve,

Are you talking about a hairline crack visible from outside where the keep bolts to/joins the hull?

Very different than a crack in either the lead keel or in the hull itself.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Steve A

Post by Steve A »

A crack in the lead keel.
Steve Abdow
S/V Jester, Hull 160
S. Dartmouth, MA
russp

Post by russp »

My two bits worth.

A) I believe the SS bolts are embedded in the top of the lead casting and pulled through the hull with the joint between keel and hull being filled with mastic or similar then bogged to fair off the joint. Avalon originally had a deep keel that was swapped out just prior to my purchase with a wing keel and I think I remember photos.

B) I wouldn't have thought possible to "crack" the lead keel, lead is very soft and the big claim to fame of Catalina lead keels over European cast iron keels is that you can't "crack" them. Like Brett says I would expect "crack" is at hull/keel joint and maybe just the bog is cracked after slight movement of the keel.

If you really do have a "crack" in the keel Ii.e. below the joint line, and potentially below the bolts, you shouldn't sail it until checked out of the water IMHO, you could be putting lives in danger.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Steve A

Post by Steve A »

Thanks for the input. I am going by the divers description- he doesn't have a camera now- and I think that the crack he saw is indeed where the keel meets the hull. You can see where the keel hit the rock- described and looking like it was hit with a sledge hammer- and the crack is above that spot at the top portion of the keel.

This forum is most helpful!
Steve Abdow
S/V Jester, Hull 160
S. Dartmouth, MA
starfish

Post by starfish »

All: when sanding my boat in preparation of a new coat of paint, I noticed the same thing. Now my question is this: how to repair it? Is this a gel coat repair, bonding material repair or a fiberglass repair?

Thanks
Ed
Ed Kleinstuber
s/v Starfish
C350 #333
russp

Post by russp »

Cracks in the lead, if that is what it is, is maybe something tha Association could take up with Catalina. The lead is not supposed to crack!

Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Ya, once out of the water, please post pictures.

That is the only why our speculation can turn into sage advice.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL