painting a hull

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

painting a hull

Post by nybor »

Hi. All. (just think, only 362 more days till Thanksgiving!)

I just happened to pass by a boat that had been painted blue. It looked very nice. But then I thought, why don't others (aka me) do it? I don't think I have ever seen a Catalina painted (at least not in person).

So, can someone tell me the "Bad, Bad and the Ugly" reason why not to?
Also, I am sick of ablative paint, since I don't sail enough to use its attributes. What do the rest of you use for bottom paint?

thanks

dave (nybor)
wolfe10

Re: painting a hull

Post by wolfe10 »

Dave,

Gel coat is a LOT more scratch resistant than paint. And, a scratch in a dark color will sure show.

And, dark colors make the boat hotter inside-- OK if you are in the Pacific NW, but not if on the east/Gulf coast.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
russp

Post by russp »

PLUS, dark blue paints are not UV stable, you will be multi-toned in a few years and repainting a few years after that.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
PMueller

Post by PMueller »

When I was looking at 350s I was going to look at a 380 that was a "really good" price but was painted with Awlgrip. I actually happen to know someone with a 47 that is Awlgripped because the person wanted a non-white hull. I asked this person about the painted hull and he said he would never do it again. He said he needs to be SO careful with his dock and bumpers and pulling his dinghy alongside because it scratches too easily. And he has to repain (at no small cost!) after 10 years even after being so careful. I think painting or Awlgripping a hull on an old boat where the 'glas is shot might be good...but otherwise no.
Paula Mueller
Brilliant #412