Propellor falling off

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Fat Cat

Propellor falling off

Post by Fat Cat »

We almost lost the boat yesterday near Seymour Narrows, BC. Propellor fell off while momentarily reversing and now will be hauled out on Monday for an inspection - I can see from my GoPro video that the rudder is slightly damaged from the prop flying backwards. Could someone give me a clear understanding on the steps for prop installation. I understand the keyway is installed in the shaft slot, the prop tapped on tight, and then a special nut is tightened behind the prop. There never was a cotter pin installed when we bought the boat, and it was highly recommended that one should be there. However, the zinc which fits over the special prop nut could not fit with a cotter pin, so some stainless wire is put in instead. After the wire was twisted on, the zinc was installed on the end of the prop nut. Any thoughts would be greatfully appreciated.
KenKrawford

Re: Propellor falling off

Post by KenKrawford »

Here's a good article on fitting a propeller to the shaft -http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/fitting_a_prop

When I replaced my prop I had a hard time getting the castle nut and regular nut on and still have room for a cotter pin. I ended up using a double loop of safety wire and it's held for the past 7 years.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

Thanks for your reply, and I have reviewed the video you suggested. It would seem that although we all have the same brand and model of boat, that prop options and installations are varied. To be clearer my prop nut was maybe not traditional, and unfortunately I don't have a photo. It had the hex shape nearest the prop for the wrench, aft of this was a tapered "cage" where the wire or cotter pin would be, and lastly, at the very end was a threaded hole where the zinc would be attached over entire affair with a stainless bolt. What I have just described is a bronze nut/zinc holder approx. 2 inches long. I never did have the "double locking nuts" and am wondering in your description at how you would attach your zinc. Thanks for your input.
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

Lucky me. I've just found a photo of my prop and zinc. I can't seem to find a way to post this picture on this site. Is there a way I can send it?
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Click on POST A REPLY
Just below the box for your reply there's a tab labeled ATTACHMENTS
Click on ADD FILES
Select the image you want
I can't remember the size limit of the file you're uploading but I believe if you resize it to 800x600 pixels you should be fine.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA