Waterline

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

R.B.

Waterline

Post by R.B. »

I am hoping to start painting the bottom of our new boat this weekend. Can anyone tell me how far from the blue stripe the bottom paint starts? and is it where the water touches or higher when your boat is normally loaded (ie. full fuel and water)

Thanks,
R.B.
Tim April IV

Above Waterline

Post by Tim April IV »

There is (from memory) about 1 inch of visible gelcoat below the blue bootstripe and above the bottompaint. My bottom paint is at least three and maybe four inches above the waterline.

You can get an idea from this picture - the bottom paint above the waterline is much darker than below.

There was a lot of discussion quite a while back about where the waterline hits the boat at the stern - apparently some - either boats with heavy stern loading (such as with a genset or A/C installation), or possibly those with wing keels (if I remember correctly) sat with the "lip" of the swim step submerged - where others, mine included, sit with the "lip" up out of the water by a few inches. My bottom paint stops at the lip and does not extend upward on the stern.

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

Thanks Tim. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

R.B.