Prop Zinc Help Request

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Chuck_on_Hudson

Prop Zinc Help Request

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

My boat has been pulled for the winter and I want to get a head start on parts ordering for the spring. I have had the boat for 3 years and have never changed out the zinc that came with the boat from the previous owner.

I need your help identifying the type of zinc I have on my prop, how it is attached to the shaft, how I get it off, and what I replace it with. There is no set screw on the side holding it on to the shaft and there is no nut on top holding it to the shaft. The only thing that might be holding it on is the tail end of a cotter pin and whatever friction is present between the prop nut shaft and the zinc. It is definitely not loose and some light banging with a piece of wood had no affect on it. My local chandlery guy thinks it is just press-fit onto the shaft, and he suggests I cut it off with a dremel. Do you have the same type of zinc on your boat? How is it attached, and how is it best removed?

If this was a cone zinc, it no longer has any cone shape to it.

Last questions is - what is the replacement part?

Appreciate all responses.

Charlie
Attachments
prop zinc on 2004 Catalina 350
prop zinc on 2004 Catalina 350
2nd Wind Zinc (3).JPG (183.53 KiB) Viewed 11469 times
Chips Ahoy!

Re: Prop Zinc Help Request

Post by Chips Ahoy! »

The zinc prop part is CAMP P-5.
It is held on by a castle nut. Replacements (the castle nut) should only be bought from catalina direct.
It's worth the hassle.

The zinc is available online ...try Defender.com.
My local marina orders it for me..it's easier.
It's not in the general catalogues.

Hope this helps.
Have fun.
-g
-george pringle
Chips Ahoy! #232
Staten Island (Great Kills Harbor), NY
Chips Ahoy!

Post by Chips Ahoy! »

Just looked at the picture...

Cut the zinc back so you can get at the castle nut.
Pull the cotter pin, block the prop and put a wrench on the castle nut and back it off...lefty loosey.

Sounds barbaric, but it's fine.
3 years with a zinc? ...amazing.

We are in Great Kills Harbor, Staten Island NY

-g
-george pringle
Chips Ahoy! #232
Staten Island (Great Kills Harbor), NY
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Chuck_on_Hudson

-g & Brett,

edited reply follows....
Last edited by Chuck_on_Hudson on Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck_on_Hudson

-g & Brett,

Thanks for the prompt replies.

The P-5 zinc is for a 1 1/4" shaft. Catalina Direct says the brass 7/8" 9-thread castellated nut is for 1 1/4" shaft "that is used on Catalina 42's only". I am going to assume that Catalina Direct has got that wrong and the 7/8" castle nut is also used on Catalina 350's. The brass nut is $22 !!

I cannot find the zinc on Defender, but I do find it at http://www.boatzincs.com where it is called a "P-5 Perry anode".

Boatzinc also has a web link to McMaster-Carr who sells a stainless steel castellated nut for $13. I know you are saying the Catalina Direct is worth it, but do you have any experience with the stainless nut? See this link....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/91853a037/=zual67

Again, thanks for the help.

BTW - I am on the Hudson River in Haverstraw, where the water is brackish-to-fresh so that could be why I am getting relatively long life with the zinc.

Charlie
Chuck_on_Hudson

Update & correction to misleading info previously posted by me...

I was able to remove the zinc by cutting it carefully with a hacksaw in several sections and breaking it away. This exposed the slotted hex nut which came off relatively easily after removing the cotter pin.

I measured the prop shaft just behind the coupler to the tranny and it is 1" diameter. The slotted hex is a 3/4" nut that is 1 1/8" across the flats and fits on the threaded end of the shaft behind the prop. The diameter of the threaded end of the shaft is 3/4".

The Catalina Direct link for the slotted hex nut ("castle nut") is;

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm ... nut-34.cfm

The zinc for my boat is a P-3&4 size for 1" shafts (and not a P-5 which is for a 1 1/4" shafts).

The photo I posted earlier in this thread shows the old zinc installed on the shaft. I believe that the zinc in this photo is installed the wrong way and it should have been turned 180 degrees and installed in the other direction. The link below shows the correct installation.

http://www.boatzincs.com/pdfs/PN_Installation.pdf

With this installation, I will need an interior nut that fits inside the female hex of the zinc, and the outer slotted nut that fits in the larger round opening. This allows for tightening the slotted nut with a socket wrench and allows for easier insertion of the cotter pin because it will not be buried under the zinc like before.

I hopes this helps someone else who, like me, was totally puzzled by the zinc and could not find any information about it.

Charlie
nybor

Post by nybor »

Question
My boat is in brackish water and West Marine has a blurb in their anode catalog stating that aluminum is better than zinc. In fact, it says aluminum is better even in saltwater.
any comments on this please?

thanks

dave