length over the water?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Captain Kirk

length over the water?

Post by Captain Kirk »

A friend just sold his C34 and is looking for a C36, C350 or C355. His marina is firm on the maximum length of the boat measured as "Length over water" they will allow into his existing slip. He is limited to 36' 5".

I can't get to Sand Dollar to measure her, so wondering if anybody can confirm this dimension for our boats. The measurement would need to include the bow roller with a Rocna or similar anchor included. "LOW" has become a standard way to measure around here as seems it's a way the marinas can charge more.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
SeaBreeze

Re: length over the water?

Post by SeaBreeze »

My 2003 owners manual Rev 3/3/03 calls out length overall as 36’ 5” and length on deck as 35’ 3”. Waterline length is 31’ 3”
Rick
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Thanks very much Rick, I'll pass this along. I suspect he may need to find an anchor that doesn't protrude much past the longest bow roller. I'd like to see him get a 350, I think he'll enjoy it more than the 36. He's 6'4" and either berth on a 350 should be a good fit, plus the headroom is better in a 350.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi Kurt,

I think I have some kind of review article on the boat which says including the roller it is 36'9". I will check it next time I'm there. I recall going into a 36' someplace and including the anchor they said it was 38' and made me move to another. It may have been an eyeball figure based on measuring along the slip and visually lining up the ends.

Are you still over in Point Roberts? When this Covid thing passes hope we can connect again, perhaps over here at Semiahmoo. Hope the above helps. I did install Webasco heating similar to yours.

Geoff. Taeko IV C350- #392, Semiahmoo WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
SubVet

Post by SubVet »

I belong to a club and we use the same approach to determine LOW. My 350 is just under 38 feet including my anchors. I do not have davits.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Thanks to everyone who contributed. It's kind of what I expected that a 350 is at least 37" with the anchor on the roller. I passed this along to my friend, looks like he wont be able to get a 350/355 without getting on his club's waiting list for a bigger berth.

Geoff, nice to hear from you, I'll send you a private message.
\Cheers
Kirk & Leah McCullough
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA