Sea Era Problem

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Sea Era Problem

Post by TBOT422 »

We have the Sea Era Toilet. The motor recently began acting strange. The motor overheated slightly while attempting to empty the bowl. Actually the problem was that the holding tank was full, and the level gauge had quit working. After emptying the holding tank and the motor allowed to cool, it is no longer as loud as it used to be and discharge is very slow. The motor does work, but very very slowly pumps out clean water in the bowl. I’m not sure if the motor is damaged, or whether there is debris on the macerator/impeller (nearly impossible to see), or whether there is still some blockage in the discharge line. Is it possible for the motor to be damaged and still work, albeit at a slower RPM? It also seems to draw more current than previously, sometimes, but not always, tripping the breaker if ran for several seconds. I haven’t checked the actual current draw as of yet. Or do these symptoms seem more like debris on the macerator/impeller or slightly blocked discharge line? The issue for me is that the motor is suddenly much quieter than before. Previously even when there was a discharge problem, the motor made a god-awful racket. I suspect something around the macerator or a bent macerator blade, but am concerned that the motor may be damaged. Any suggestions on how to diagnose what the issue may be?

I put a new discharge hose on the system last spring, so I don't expect calcium build up to be an issue.

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
leigh weiss

Re: Sea Era Problem

Post by leigh weiss »

Gary & Janet

All of your symptoms and your analysis seems to be correct. A slow moving motor will draw much more current. I sounds like you might have a clog or obstruction on the discharge pump.
You might want to remove the pump/motor and clear the system. I have found when doing this type of service that a rebuild kit and an exploded view diagram is nice to have before the job starts. Often the motor will benefit/require some lubrication of the end bearings while it is apart. Be sure to replace any shaft seals as they don"t like to be disturbed and reused.
Let us know how it goes and happy pumping.

Leigh Weiss Brisa #155
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
TBOT422

Re: Sea Era Problem

Post by TBOT422 »

I finally diagnosed and fixed our problem.

I checked the current draw and the motor and it was about 40 amps versus the 18 amps that it was supposed to draw. I decided to start disassembling the unit and test it at each step to isolate the problem. I feared the worst. When I disconnected the discharge hose at the joker valve, I expected some water to leak out. But instead, it shot out under pressure. Good news, the joker valve is working well enough to hold pressure in the discharge line. Bad news, the discharge line was blocked somewhere. Current draw on the motor with the discharge line disconnected was back to normal. Some surgery with a plumbers snake revealed a blockage of TP. Apparently when the waste tank got full, the TP failed to flush all the way to the tank and accumulated in the discharge line and formed a blockage. After a day of clearing out the discharge line and back flushing the vent line, all seems back to normal. At least it didn't cost me $XXX for a new motor. But I have a new rule aboard our boat: No TP in the toilet! Just deposit it in the waste basket.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)