Tank Monitor for Waste Holding Tank

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Richard Ad

Tank Monitor for Waste Holding Tank

Post by Richard Ad »

My 2005 C-350 has the Snake River tank monitor. Works pretty well for the two water holding tanks but is not very accurate on the waste holding tank. I bought a new sensor and claibrated it a number of times and still don't feel confident with the readings. I had a boat with a semi-transparent waste holding tank and was able to see the fluid level through the tank walls. So I started thinking of ways to make a visual inspection and started looking at site glasses which will mean putting a hole in the vertical wall of the tank. I also thought of putting two though hulls in a vertical wall (one near the bottom and one near the top) and connecting them with a clear hose. Here's the through hulls I was looking into: http://www.iboats.com/THRU-HULL-W-SS-CO ... _id.928572 This would mean I'd have to put an access cap so I could get the through hull assembly inside the tank. http://www.iboats.com/Seadog-Watertight ... w_id.39787 This would give me the most accurate tank monitor there is. However, it could be a costly mistake and a messy one.

Has anyone heard of this method working???? Other concerns: Pressure from pumping out. Odor. Leaking. Annapolis Sailboat show is coming up in a few weeks and if this is a bad idea then I'm going to with a Gobius Tank Monitor for the waste holding tank.
dennisferriello

Re: Tank Monitor for Waste Holding Tank

Post by dennisferriello »

Richard:
My name is Dennis Ferriello of Ferriello Sales LLC. We manufacture tank monitors for Catalina. All our products are manufactured in house, Made in the USA.

What panel do you have in your boat? LED or LCD? Would like to help you get you unit running properly.
The unit working on water should make no difference with waste water.
I would need to know what panel you have, Like I said LED or LCD, any model number on it?
How tall are the water tanks and how tall is the waste tank?
Like I said I will be happy to help you solve your problem.

thanks
Dennis

Dennis Ferriello
Ferriello Sales LLC New Providence Marine
http://www.ferriellosales.com
dennis@ferriellosales.com
Last edited by dennisferriello on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

I also have a Snake River tank monitor. It has caused problems for years. I have re-taped the sensor tape twice but it regularly reads a tank as full when it is empty. The holding tank must only hold about 12 gallons based on the frequency the monitor tells me to empty. So I also am interested in a replacement tank monitor system, at minimal cost of course.

Bruce
C350 #357
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
dennisferriello

bruce:
Sorry you are having problems. 2005 was the year I started selling to Catalina. I was the sales manager for Snake river and got tired of the product they were making so I went with there engineer and we started our own company making monitors and sensors. We have been with Catalina since then are doing great. I am in Florida now so I visit Catalina once a month to check things out.
If you want to talk give me a call to discuss your problem. Normally the Snake River was a good unit for a period of time. We just wanted a better unit.
So if you like call me and I would be happy to try and help you.

Dennis Ferriello
435-656-0042

PS the area code is Utah but I am in Florida.
dennisferriello

Aussie Mate wrote:I also have a Snake River tank monitor. It has caused problems for years. I have re-taped the sensor tape twice but it regularly reads a tank as full when it is empty. The holding tank must only hold about 12 gallons based on the frequency the monitor tells me to empty. So I also am interested in a replacement tank monitor system, at minimal cost of course.

Bruce
C350 #357
=============================================
Bruce, this is Dennis Ferriello
re taping the tank does nothing unless it was falling off. If falling off you needed to use 3m spray 77 or 90.
If reading full when empty that sounds like a bad ground. You have a snake river panel, which one?
I need a model number, is it an 4 tank led or a LCD ultra 8 panel
So let me know and we will see what we can do for you.
Or if you don't know what it is if you can send a picture that would be great.

Dennis Ferriello
435-656-0042
I am in Florida but have a Utah area code.
dennisferriello

Aussie Mate wrote:I also have a Snake River tank monitor. It has caused problems for years. I have re-taped the sensor tape twice but it regularly reads a tank as full when it is empty. The holding tank must only hold about 12 gallons based on the frequency the monitor tells me to empty. So I also am interested in a replacement tank monitor system, at minimal cost of course.

Bruce
C350 #357
Bruce:
Nice talking last night, all info emailed. Let me know what happens.
Dennis
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

Dennis I will let you know thanks.
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
dennisferriello

I just wanted to thank all of you for the letters and calls.
I am glad I have been able to help.
If anyone needs help with there Water or Waste panel please feel free to email or call
me.
Thanks again for your calls and letters.

Dennis Ferriello
Ferriello Sales LLC
http://www.ferriello Sales LLC
roostermt

Post by roostermt »

I need to revive the old thread.

So first time out on the new to me boat.

Off for fuel and pump out. Well there was a lot in the tank. Even the dock hand was impressed. The tank showed empty. Ultra 8 display.

Could not find the recalibrate instructions on fourm but did find them in manual.

Thoughts on where to start Diagnosed.

Thanks again.
Last edited by roostermt on Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Look at the second post in this thread. Contact Dennis Ferriello. He's great to work with and can help you. Have you checked the foil on the surface of the tank to make sure it's making contact?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Dave DeSalvo

Post by Dave DeSalvo »

Dennis Ferriello definitely helped me. Had the same dead monitor issue. Dennis suggested I track down a fuse in the wiring bundle for the tank monitor. the fuse was blown and once I replaced it the my monitor came back to life and 2 years later have had no issue. The fuse was somewhat difficult to find behind the electrical panel in among all of the wires but an easy fix once located.

Dave DeSalvo
S/V Ventosa
Hull 383
roostermt

Post by roostermt »

Thanks guys,

Will Contact Dennis.

The water tank portion of the Monitor seems spot on. Is there a separate fuse for each tank?
Last edited by roostermt on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

No there is only 1 fuse for the entire tank monitor. I wouldn't waste a lot of time looking for the fuse. If your display is working, the fuse is fine. If there's nothing on the display, then that's a good place to start.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

In case anyone needs to check this fuse in the future, here's what it looks like. Standing in front of the nav. desk and the electrical panel down you're looking at the back left corner of the panel.
Attachments
Fuse.jpg
Fuse.jpg (96.42 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
johnthejetpilot

Post by johnthejetpilot »

I am having similiar challenges with tank system not registering anything in the waste tank. I'm sad to say Dennis passed away in Jan. The new point of contact is Dave Davis 208-380--2678 He apparently is more responsive to email than calls:
support@newprovidencemarine.com or sales@newprovidencemarine.com

When I hear back from him, I'll post what I find to solve problem.
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
zman18

Post by zman18 »

Similar problems with my 2008 350. In fact I can't recall anyone ever saying the monitor worked. After messing with it a number of times I resorted to doing things the "old fashion" way. I use my fist to tap on the tank and can get a sounding as to the waste level. For me this works well plus its free!
John Zoda
Compass Rose
Hull# 484