Strong smell

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's head here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ka1eui

Strong smell

Post by ka1eui »

Happy 4th of July everyone! My wife and I sail our 350 on weekends and then it sit at the mooring all week. Before leaving to go home on Sunday nights we drain out the head and run fresh water for about 2 minutes with the drain plug open. This of course in the hopes of cleaning everything out. I then close all valves and shut everything down. When we arrive back on Saturday morning a week later and flush the head we get a very strong odor. So, I open the hatch to air things out and I again open the valve and flush the head for a couple of minutes and then after about 5 minutes or so of airing out we're good to go. Is this common? Is there something that someone knows of that will get rid of that smell?

thanks
Jim
Hans Grasman

Head odor

Post by Hans Grasman »

Jim
I assume you are in sea water. This happens a lot. I have stopped it by keeping the salt water intake closed at all times.
I use the shower to wet the bowel before use and again to flush the bowl after use and I have no odors at all. My guests think I am a real nut when I instruct them on head use.
BTW Put a sign above the head and instruct users not to drop anything in the head they have not ingested first. Dental flosh is a real killer.
Hans
Belcourt #165
william vanwagoner

Post by william vanwagoner »

I think the smell comes from organisms in the salt water that sit and die in the water left in the head intake line (and small channels in the head bowl etc.). I put a "T" in the drain line from the head sink and connected it to the water inlet line just before the filter inside the holding tank cabinet. I have a valve under the sink so that I can open and close this connection. With it open and the head sink drain seacock closed along with the head inlet sea cock closed, I put fresh water in the sink, or let it accumulate, and pressing the flush button uses the water in the sink to flush instead of salt water. This modification has completely cleared up that bad smell, even after returning to the boat after a week of sitting. This arrangement has several advantages, one is that the sink provides an air gap so there is no risk of contaminating the fresh water supply. The other, is that with the sink drain seacock closed, you are re-using water used for hand washing, teeth brushing, etc. as subsequent fresh water flush supply. You can alsways use the salt water flush if needed by closing the valve at the T under the sink and opening the seakcock.
tom

Head Odour

Post by tom »

I have had the same problem since purchasing the boat. I suspect it is the sea organisms dying in the sea intake to the head. I have tried closing the sea-cock and flushing with fresh water from the shower and putting some vinegar in the water (suggested by an old sailor), but upon my return at the week-end the first flush with sea water was identified by the deadly pong and the boat had to be aired for some time. A bit disconcerting to newcomers being welcomed aboard ! I would like to know a simple solution.

tom
"Whisper II" #278 - Sydney Australia
Hans Grasman

seawater smell

Post by Hans Grasman »

Tom
You should have left the seacock closed. Do not bring seawater into the bowl use the shower to wet the bowl and again use the shower to rinse it.
You do not need all that much water for this procedure.
PS. I personally enjoy to pee from the stern platform it is nearly as nice as doing it in my back yard when arriving in the dark. The admiral frowns on it, both on the stern and the back yard use. But boys will be boys and it keeps the deer away from my plants and shrubs in the garden.
Have fun down under in the winter !
Hans
Belcourt #165
tom

strong smell

Post by tom »

Sorry but if I did what you do off the back of the boat in Sydney Harbour I would probably be arrested. As for doing it in my backyard after dark, there are no deer down in Oz to deter, perhaps some kangaroos which occasionally appear. I still can't get rid of the pong. Flushing with fresh water just means I have to fill up the tank more often which is a bit of a nuisance. I would like to hear what the solution might be from the manufacturer.
Chanticleer

Post by Chanticleer »

Hey guys,
Just a note to let you know I'm having the same 'lovely' smell problem on my boat after sitting for a few days, and I'm in fresh water. My guess is that fresh or salt, the problem is with the water stagnating in the inlet line.
Alex Pingree
Chanticleer
wcconway

Re: Strong smell

Post by wcconway »

For a couple of months now we have been inserting a bromine tablet (originally used in our hot tub at home) inside the metal filter inside the clear strainer behind the head. It works great! Once the thru hull is opened and the first flush commences, it takes only 1-2 seconds before the clean smelling bromine kicks in. No more rancid smell that permeates the entire cabin And, it lasts quite a while before the bromine tablet slowly dissolves after many, many flushes. We will take a photo next time we are on the boat.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida