Westerbeke Engine Red Card Check List

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KenKrawford

Westerbeke Engine Red Card Check List

Post by KenKrawford »

Member David Bloomquist submitted a copy of the Westerbeke Engine Red Card Check List showing engine maintenance requirements for various intervals. Thanks David.
Attachments
westerbeke red card 2-1--page1.jpg
westerbeke red card 2-1--page1.jpg (263.63 KiB) Viewed 7625 times
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
rjengelhart

Re: Westerbeke Engine Red Card Check List

Post by rjengelhart »

Hi,

Thought I had read somewhere recently that Westerbeke had change oil changes fir the M35B to 150 hrs instead of 100 hrs.

Have you heard/read about that?

Thanks.
vr
Bob Engelhart
SV Andiamo #464
Punta Gorda, FL
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

100 hours is roughly equivalent to 6,000 miles (vehicle driven for 100 hours at 60 MPH).

About the right change interval for a relatively small oil capacity diesel engine.

And, would add "OR ONCE A YEAR". Acid builds up from moisture and combustion byproducts even if not used much-- even worse of engine is not operated under load long enough to get the oil (not just coolant) up to operating temperature.

Also, an important "ADD" to that list given the number of transmission failures is to change the transmission oil at oil change intervals. A quart of ATF will do a couple of changes.

Some of the other things like glow plugs, injectors, etc I would not do without symptoms indicating issues with them. Said another way if cold start doesn't take longer than usual, I would not suspect glow plugs, glow plug relay, etc.
Last edited by wolfe10 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
rjengelhart

Post by rjengelhart »

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe this week or next.
vr
Bob Engelhart
SV Andiamo #464