engine won't start

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jrohrbaugh

engine won't start

Post by jrohrbaugh »

While doing post trip maintenance, I changed all the fuel filters. When I changed the engine filter I was not able to purge the system.
It appeared that the electronic fuel pump had quit.

After a few hours I finally called my mechanic. What we found was a defective low oil pressure switch. It's located on the lower part of the block in an in accessible place. Finally I was able to loosen and remove the switch.
Actually found a Universal replacement in town and installed with some degree of difficulty.

After jumping the connection to trick the pump into working, we started the engine and built up the pressure (and filled the switch with oil) to get starting back to normal. After that every thing worked as normal.

The switch cuts off the engine if pressure drops below 10 lbs. It is tied to the fuel pump.

Switch $18 and two hours of mechanical help $150 (we did other stuff while he was at the boat)

Jamie
S/V Soixante
Sail #444
wolfe10

Re: engine won't start

Post by wolfe10 »

Jamie,

I prime after filter change a different way.

Go to the electric fuel pump. Unplug the positive wire a couple of inches from the pump. Crack open the bleeder on the top of the secondary fuel filter (the one on the engine) and put a rag under it to keep diesel out of the bilge. Touch the pump end of the wire to the large lug of the solenoid that sits just to port of the fuel pump. Let fuel pump run until bubble-free diesel comes out. Retighten bleed screw and reconnect pump wire.

This whole process takes less than 2 minutes.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL