Engine oil spec for Universal 35b

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

DuncanMcMillan

Engine oil spec for Universal 35b

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

Now that API has advised API specs CF and CG4 are obsolete what are we using when it comes time to change? It looks like CH4 or CI-4 are possibilities ?

So many jobs, so little time .
Duncan #248
Para Handy
wolfe10

Re: Engine oil spec for Universal 35b

Post by wolfe10 »

Yes, the API specs changed in 2007 to accommodate the new DPF filtered on-highway engines.

You are perfectly safe in using the same brand as before-- it will have the superseded API designation.

Favorites are Shell Rotella T and Delo 400 since they are available everywhere. We use the Shell in the boat, as it is more available in the Bahamas as well as at Walmart, etc in the U.S.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
DuncanMcMillan

Post by DuncanMcMillan »

Thanks Brett. I just wish I had the chance to use it in the Bahamas.
Duncan #248
Para Handy
ps23435

Post by ps23435 »

This question may be in the category of "I should know this"..... but.... I am changing the oil for the first time (bought the boat in March). In reviewing the 35B manual it specifies 10W30 weight oil for the temperature range I have the boat in. However, that weight oil is nowhere to be found. There is plenty of 15W40 weight of the proper API classification available at West Marie, Walmart, etc. My question, what lube oil is being used by others? Thanks.

Pete S.
Slip Away (#437)
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

15-40 is a very popular choice. Remember, unless you are very cold climates, the engine room is reasonably warm-- normally quite a lot warmer than ambient temperature.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL