Fuel Filter Bracket

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Fuel Filter Bracket

Post by TBOT422 »

After reading about the Westerbeke Service Bulletin #247 regarding the failing fuel filter bracket on this forum, I checked and our bracket was cracked. I ordered the replacement bracket from Westerbeke. Great service got a new one in just a few days for free. Unfortunately, the "new" bracket I received is apparently of the old "faulty" design. The date of manufacture on our engine is in 2006. According to the service bulletin the "bad" parts were manufactured prior to Sept. 2004. So apparently, the new design doesn't work too well either.

When I went to replace the cracked bracket, I compared it to the "new" one and clearly the cracked one has a smooter bend radius than the replacement. I took photos, but I'm not sure how to attach them.

I guess the new one with the sharp bend that isn't cracked yet is better than my old one that is cracked, so I'll install the non-cracked one for now and call Mr. Westerbeke.

I think there was a thread somewhere on this forum from someone who had installed a shock absorbing mechanism with some hose sections, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking. If anyone can lead me to it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by TBOT422 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
TBOT422

Re: Fuel Filter Bracket

Post by TBOT422 »

This is more of a test to see how to download a photo than anything else.

Photo 1, showing the new style cracked bracket on the bottom:

and Photo 2, showing the new style cracked bracket on the top:

You can see the difference in the bend radii by comparing the gap between the 2 brackets depending on which style is on the bottom. Clearly the cracked bracket has a larger smoother bend radius than the warranty replacement sent by Westerbeke.

I'll add some photos of the shock absorbing approach I intend to install when complete. I'm not sure whether to install the shock absorption between the fuel filter and the mounting bracket, or between the mounting bracket and the engine block. Logic tells me it should be between the mounting bracket and the engine block, but that may be a little harder to accomplish, so I am going with a shock absorbing hose section between the mounting bracket and the fuel filter.
Gary & Janet
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Here's the finished installation. Not exactly what I had in mind. I think I need a stiffer section of hose so that it doesn't collapse completely when tightening the bolts. But, I suspect that it is better than nothing, given the failure rate of the mounting bracket.

I essentially cut a short piece of hose, and drilled 2 holes in it so that the mounting bolts could go through it. I placed it between the fuel filter housing top and the mounting bracket. I replaced the mounting screws with 5/16" x 2" hex bolts so that I could double nut them to prevent them from backing off due to the vibration.

Gary & Janet
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I sent the photos of the brackets to Westerbeke. They said both brackets have suffficient bend radii. They also noted that damage my be caused by excessive vibration at idle. One possibility of excessive vibration is too low RPM. Even though our tach shows about 1000 RPM, it is clear to me that vibraion lessens significantly with an additional 50-100 RPM. Now to figure out how to get a wrench on the idel adjustment screw. I don't believe the engineers cold have found a more inaccessible location for an adjustment screw!

Gary
Gary & Janet
Richard Ad

Post by Richard Ad »

Hello TBOT422: I just replaced my second bracket yesterday, July 29, 2012. I will order a spare but would like to feel confident that something as simple as a bracket will last. How is your fix working and did you have to purchase longer bolts? Did you replace the nuts with "locking nuts"? Any additional details will be helpful. Thanks.

Richard Ad / Hull #329
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Richard,

The last I checked, the bracket was not cracked. I'll check again this weekend. Yes I bought some longer bolts, and as you can see from the picture I used a double-nut configuration instead of locking nuts.

I believe all of these failures are caused by excessive engine vibration. I also increased idle speed by about 100 RPM to arround 1050 RPM (as measured by the woefully inaccurate helm gauge). After I did this, I no longer felt the cockpit floor constantly vibrate under my feet when at idle. I also pay carful attention to what RPM the engine runs smoothest when under way. I find the engine wants to smooth out around 2,000 RPM versus slightly lower or higher speeds. I almost never run the engine at full throttle unless I am trying to make a bridge opening.
Gary & Janet