Coolant Level Question

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jrohrbaugh

Re: Coolant Level Question

Post by jrohrbaugh »

just added more coolant. purged system again from thermo pat cock.
who knows maybe i just forgot to top off the coolat tank peoperly when routing out the H/E?
can't find any leaks.
MorningStar

Post by MorningStar »

I had the same problem losing coolant. I found the leak by putting little pieces of paper towel around suspect areas of the engine during a run. Left the pieces of paper towel on the engine for a day or so until the engine was cold. Checked for anti-freeze pink at the different locations. In this case I found the tube from the expansion tank to the engine was leaking once everything cooled down.
JohnNorton

Post by JohnNorton »

If you see no evidence of coolant leaking (no coolant in the bilge, near water heater, etc.) there may be coolant going out with the fresh/sea water via a crack/leak in the heat exchanger. Hope not, but a pressure test on it would confirm.- John
jrohrbaugh

Post by jrohrbaugh »

Looks like it's the heat exchanger. Did the paper towel trick, Nothing. Searched the boat; nothing.
However, when engine cools down the level drops in the expansion tank. Conventional wisdom says it's the heat exchanger. After 1200 hours and eight years, guess it's time to change.

Anyone got a cheap source?

I called the local shops and they want $150 to check. AutoZone will lend me a pressure checker if I buy it then return it for full refund.

Open for any other ideas before we spend $400-$600 dollars.

Thanks to everyone for their input

JR
Sailing Vessel Soixante
Sail #444
MorningStar

Post by MorningStar »

You may wish to contact Mr. Cool Marine Products https://www.mrcool.us

I know a Catalina 350 owner who replaced his heat exchanger, with success, with one from this company.
Barry Dupuy
s/v Morning Star #35
JohnForr

Post by JohnForr »

Hi,
I searched and searched for the leak on the heat exchanger. The leak was in a place that was impossible to see. It was where the bracket meets the engine and on the bottom side of that spot. Impossible to see. I took the exchanger off and had it welded. Then it started leaking on the other side. Bottom line. I should have just got a new heat exchanger. My notes say it is a Seacamp model number 201027.

Seakamp
Was universal 201027/200420

http://www.mrcool.us/201027-universal-w ... anger.html

There is another post on here about my heat exchanger adventures. I wasted a lot of time and money trying to fix the old one.
John & Mary Jane Forr
Punta Gorda, Fl
Hull #007
jrohrbaugh

Post by jrohrbaugh »

Just ordered new H/E from Go2 Marine. They are just south of the Mfg. in Washington State
Important to note that some of the recommended H/E are not Nickel/Copper so they would be eaten up in a salt water application.

SKU Description Leaves Warehouse Quantity Price Each Amount
494035 Universal - Medalist Replacement Heat Exchanger, 3" Dia x 17-5/8" OAL, fits M35B, M25XPB CuNi 10 Days 1 414.89 414.89
Shipping UPS Ground (UPS_GND) 1 0.00 0.00
Subtotal: 414.89

Total: 414.89

Good news is it's less expensive than others from SeaKamp. Bad news it takes a while to get here.

I will follow up when I get it installed.

Thanks to everyone for their help.