Fuel and Engine Oil Filter P/Ns

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Captain Kirk

Fuel and Engine Oil Filter P/Ns

Post by Captain Kirk »

Can anyone give me the P/N for the engine mounted fuel filter. I didnt see it in the Universal user's manual that came with the boat and I'm not able to find a P/N on the existing filter.
I have the P/N for the Racor filter as 3137 20 Micron version. I know there is some discussion around what the best Micron choice is; some people on my dock say it should be 10 Micron.

On the engine mounted oil filter I have a Fram P/N.. PH3593A.
Does sound correct?

Thanks
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
scott.monroe

Re: Fuel and Engine Oil Filter P/Ns

Post by scott.monroe »

The operator's manual tells you a lot but just not part numbers, funny. The parts manual for the M35B is much better on that accord. Here is the link for it: https://www.westerbeke.com/parts%20manu ... 0final.pdf

To save the digging : Universal Marine Fuel Filter 298854

You can buy it directly from Westerbeke ($14.60) : https://westerbeke.com/partssearch.htm
If you haven't purchased from them directly, they are pretty good about getting parts out quickly. Within that vain, I have been thrilled with Westerbeke as a whole. Their manuals are accessible and parts available through them directly. I have struggled finding manuals from other engine manufactures that Catalina uses.

Regarding the primary Racor filter (water separator), I am assuming you are after your primary (500FG). You want to use a larger filter rating than your primary on the engine, those are ~2. The 10 works well 2010TM-OR. Thought being, if your primary and secondary are same size the primary clogs quickly and your engine mounted secondary doesn't do anything.

Also try to stay away from the auto filters. The metal filter housing isn't able to survive the marine environment and if left on multi season you risk them rotting out.

Take care,
Scott
Scott Monroe
C350 #409 / Southern Yankee
North Kingstown, RI
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Kirk,

We have used standard diesel fuel filter on the engine block for 8 years. They can be purchased at any auto supply store. We replace them and the primary Racor (2010-PM-OR) every 18-24 months and have never had a problem.
298854 Westerbeke
3390 NAPA
33390 Wix
86390 Carquest
F50262 Purolator
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Thanks Gary and Scott, I was able the get all the correct filters with your input. Should be easy peasy from here.
Kirk & Leah McCullough
#031 -Full Batten Main, Rocna 20
Sand Dollar
Point Roberts, WA
kloebereng

Post by kloebereng »

Just FYI a few years ago I researched the "best" fuel filters for our Universal engines. Besides my own research, I also put a lot of weight in my Kubota dealer (industrial/construction equipment applications.)

Here's the summary:
https://c34.org/wikiwp/?rdp_we_resource ... el_Filters

Coincidently, my Kubota dealer independantly recommended FleetGuard filters for Kubota engines (both fuel and oil filters.)
Fleetguard is the clear choice based on the filter efficiency.
KWKloeber
‘84 C-30 Tall Rig Fin Keel #3573
Universal M-25