Heat Exchanger - Non-Repairable

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ElizabethG

Heat Exchanger - Non-Repairable

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi All,

I've had my 350 for almost a year.

On a recent trip from Charleston, SC to Georgetown, SC via the ICW, I noticed the engine ran a little warm at times, just a few degrees. However, she normally stayed at 160 degrees, at 2,100 RPMs, which has been normal for the time I've had her.

Not knowing when the impeller had been replaced, I pulled and replaced it. The old one looked fine. No broken vanes, or cracks.

I decided to pull the HE and found some junk behind the end caps as I expected, but I also found a large calcium deposit in the HE hose connector coming from the raw water pump. Probably a 95% blockage. So, I pulled the HE and took it to radiator shop for cleaning and pressure testing.

The shop called me today and said it had so many internal tube leaks, it could not be repaired. So, I ordered a new HE today.

Not knowing how long the raw (salt) water and the engine coolant have been mixing together due to the HE internal tube leaks, what steps should I take when I install the new HE? Should I just pull the engine coolant drain plug and flush it out with water, or should I do more before refilling with coolant?

Thanks,

Bill
Atlanta, GA