Estimates of project time

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

SeaBreeze

Estimates of project time

Post by SeaBreeze »

I've got several projects on tap this fall. I'm hoping some of you who have done (or have paid to have done) these projects may remember the number of hours involved in completing each. 1. Replace all cooling water hoses (sea water and coolant) associated with engine and water heater. 2. Remove, clean, reinstall heat exchanger. 3. Replace exhaust hose.
My M35B just turned 1000 hours and Sea Breeze is now 14 years old. The engine runs great, starts in the blink of an eye and produces no smoke. No leaking gaskets. So I am reluctant to do any engine service such as valve adjustment or anything that involves opening up the engine. Prop Shaft seal was replaced at 550 hrs. Lube fluids are replaced every100 hours, coolant every 500 hours. Damper plate needs replaced but I've got good time estimates from the many helpful posts on this board. So, any time estimates for my project list will be most helpful.
Best regards
Rick
Sea Breeze
Rick Parish
Sea Breeze
cuthbert

Re: Estimates of project time

Post by cuthbert »

Valve adjustment is a straightforward task and takes about 30 mins, if I recall it falls due around 500-700 hours I checked mine and only one or two needed adjusting. There are many service items I raise an eyebrow at and extend the duration but that would not be one of them.

Just did (this past winter) the water pump from Sherwood to Oberdorfer when the Sherwood leaked and was beyond service/overhaul. Since the pump was coming out I did replace all the hoses on the sea water cooling path except the exhaust hose, also replaced the riser. Hoses and riser were all good at 13 years and 800 or so hours. Cleaned the heat exchanger, changed the attached glycol coolant hoses also and repainted and pressure tested before replacement, maybe 10 hours total time over three days.

For both jobs you need a second person in the same way you need a second person to change the tire on a car (hold your coat, pass the tool, pick up the nut that rolls away etc) :D

I would not describe myself as a good DIY person or mechanic and would not/could not do the damper plate replacement but for the others getting reliable people to do boat work is hit and miss and if you do it yourself you know it got done and in a pinch you know where everything is and how it works if you need to know in a pressing situation.