Transmission clicking

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Aussie Mate

Transmission clicking

Post by Aussie Mate »

I recently ran out of coolant and subsequently found we had a breach in our head gasket. Surprising since we have only 533 hours on the 2005 engine as a result of Lake usage in the past. Once the head gasket was replaced, we noticed a regular clicking at the rear of the boat. It only occurs when the transmission is in forward gear and disappears in neutral or reverse. It increases in frequency with increased RPM of the engine. It would appear to be approximately around the prop shaft, but hard to identify.

It can be heard all over the boat. We have tried "listening" with a cheap stethoscope (a screwdriver touching the metal surfaces) over the transmission, the engine and the prop housing but cannot hear it at any one of those points.

It has been suggested that it could be a type of cavitation of the water slapping against the under neath of the hull, but that seems a little too far fetched for me.

Any one have any ideas, please?
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
nybor

Re: Transmission clicking

Post by nybor »

Hi. same here with the sound. It was driving me crazy and would only stop if I put the transmission in reverse. I have a folding prop and someone said he thought it was one or more of the blades flapping (opening and closing) as the water rushed past it. I don't know about that, but he said for sure leave it in reverse so I am....

now watch me get 1,000,000 responses on how I am ruining my transmission!!!

dave
russp

Post by russp »

Hey guys, this is left field but.....since new Avalon has had a loud ticking/clicking on port side aft, very audible from alongside as much as on board and I could not work out what gives, only at idle. After 8 years !!!!! of ownership, finally found out what it is last week. At certain low revs the top of the fuel tank flexes/rattles and creates that noise. Just slight hand pressure in middle of top of tank stopped it, so I am going to get a foam pad to put between fuel tank and underside of cover and expect I will never hear it again.

Might be same noise as you are hearing, might not.

Regards
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

Just to confuse y’all a wee bit more. The clicking is heard on both sides but more pronounced on the starboard side, no fuel tank. Also most pronounced if stand on a dock directly in front of the bow?? Now that is making no sense at all.
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

HI there,

Perhaps your clicking is from the fuel pump? I have a Webastco hydroponic diesel heating system installed and it has a separate pump to the fuel tank. The pump is located under the rear cabin berth in the centre of the boat aft of the dripless bearing bellows and the engine raw water strainer. The little pump notably "ticks" as it sucks fuel to the burner unit which is in the rear starboard lazarette behind the water heater unit. The pump goes on and off as called for by the heating thermostat. The rapidity of the ticking is mostly notable after it first kicks on then moderates - one can hear it throughout the boat if the cabin doors are all open.

Side note: I noticed a coincidence - S/V"Aussie Mate" got an answer from Russ Peel (S/V "Avalon") in Australia - I likewise was from there 50 years ago - is there something about Catalina 350s attracting Australians?

Cheers, Geoff. S/V Taeko 1V - C350 #392, Semiahmoo, WA. (USA)
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
nybor

Post by nybor »

The ticking is when the engine is off. And since I live in florida, I only turn on the heater when the temp drops below 31 (C)

nybor
Pete Bruzik

Post by Pete Bruzik »

Hi - I know that this sounds silly - but - shrimp make a clicking noise on the hull - we have heard this clicking often while in Florida and north to the lower Chesapeake - we also have had turtles feeding on some "fuzz" on the hull they make a louder click...
Best,
Pete Bruzik - Pekabu 3 - #107 - 2003 - original owner
nybor

Post by nybor »

WHAT!!!! You hear it standing on the dock? Well, I am ASSUMING that the engine was running. If not, you need to see a doctor. Does it happen in neutral? what about forward and reverse? I don't remember, but I am not sure MY ticking varied with rpm.

dave
Strgzr

Post by Strgzr »

Catalina Manual states the transmission clicks and clacks at idle in gear due to the "Transmission/Damper Pate". Look it up. Normal indication. Ours does the same thing.

From the Universal Marine Diesel Engines M-35B (and other models) Manual:

"Too low an idle speed will produce a chattering noise from the transmission gear and damper plate. in such cases the idle speed should be increased."
Michael & Maureen P.
Catalina 350 #275
SV Journey
Deltaville, VA