Shaft Coupling Removal & more

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

BillBerner

Shaft Coupling Removal & more

Post by BillBerner »

It's so nice when something goes right.

My major spring projects are including replacing the damper plate and replacing the bellows etc. on the PSS shaft seal. I started today.

Getting the engine lifted, the transmission removed and bell housing bolts out were a bear,

BUT

the part I really dreaded, from all the posts I read, was removing the shaft coupling.

Unbelievably, it was a breeze. Maybe 20 minutes total using a 6" puller from a cheap 3 piece Harbor Freight set. I sprayed both side of the coupling shaft joint with PB Blaster when I got to the the boat before doing all the other work. The other stuff took about 5 hours.

I'm Going to clean and paint the engine compartment while I have the engine sort of out of the way. Also going to clean and touch up the engine paint as well. Gave the heat exchanger a good boiling and cleaned all the tubes in it as well.

I need to come up with a better system for moving the engine around. Total PITA.
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.