Upgrade to High output alternator

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

johnjab

Upgrade to High output alternator

Post by johnjab »

All:

I need to replace my original alternator. If anyone has upgraded, what size and brand did you go with? From what I have read, our engine can not take a real high output alternator. Would a 100 AMP be ok? We have a 2004 350 with the Universal engine.

Thank you

John Jablonski
C350 #156
"Therapy"
Fairhaven, MA
jjab33@yahoo.com
leigh weiss

Re: Upgrade to High output alternator

Post by leigh weiss »

John J.,
I used an older style three wire (for external regulator) GM 120 amp alternator with an ARS-4 smart 3 stage regulator. You can find these alternators on e-bay for under $ 100.00. I used the original "v"belt for the first couple of years and then switched to a serpentine belt (conversion kit from Bata Marine) which made it run quieter and prolonged the belt life. The alternator had one modification of the 2" foot and was a direct bolt in. If you need pix of the install, I can send you some.
Good luck with your project
Last edited by leigh weiss on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

We also have the 2004 and the previous owner had already upgraded to a 90 amp alternator. It works well for us, although we did add an Efoy fuel cell a couple of years ago which made a dramatic difference and solved all our charging issues. I have been told that a larger alternator may require a double pulley or a surpentine belt.
johnjab

Post by johnjab »

Thank you both for the responses. Has anyone else upgraded to a higher output alternator?

John Jablonski
Therapy #156
Fairhaven, MA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Yes, we have a Balmar 120 amp alternator with Xantrex 3 stage digital "smart" regulator with voltage sense wire on battery terminal.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
johnjab

Post by johnjab »

Thanks Brett. Did you have to increase the belt size or change the pulleys?

John Jablonski
Therapy #156
Fairhaven, MA
Interlude35

Post by Interlude35 »

The previous owner upgraded our 2005 with an Balmar 712 (80 amp) alternator with AR5 external regulator. I am in the process of replacing the alternator adjusting strap as unable to install a 39.5"belt(original size) and a 40" belt cannot be adequately tightened to prevent dusting.

John & Marilyn Ferguson
Interlude 2005
New London, CT
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

John,
I had to make an upper belt tension arm for my alternator to use my upgraded belt and new alternator.
I have my first spare prototype in stainless steel, if you want to try it and see if it solves your problem.
Send me an e-mail weiss@rowan.edu. I have a pix of the completed installation I will send along if you need it.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

When we upgraded to the Balmar alternator we had to also replace the upper support arm. The major additional expense however was in upgrading the cables (wiring) from the alternator to the batteries. When we went from a 50A standard (original) alternator to the Balmar 80A we found the cables were undersized and to prevent overheating we had them increased in size, which took the mechanic about 6 hours (@ $125 per).
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

I own a 2004 and would like to replace the alternator with a greater output. Is there an alternator that can be purchased without major modifications to mounts and cables? Baldor seems very pricey ⛵️🤓🎉

Thanks Dutch Beukenkamp
JohnNorton

Post by JohnNorton »

Alternator replacement with higher output.... ? Seems everyone has encountered challenges. Why not install solar panels, 200 watts or so, and continue with a 50 amp alternator, not run engine to charge batteries ?
russp

Post by russp »

Hi John,

Quick calculation, with 200W panels get 16 amps in ideal conditions, so in 8 hours of good sunlight you might charge by around 100 AH.

If you up a 50A to a 100A alternator you would still need to run the motor for over an hour (compared to 2 hours) to get same charge as it will back off as approaches full charge, so solar looks really good if you can fit 200W, and if you reliably get sunshine most days.

My experience is like others, 100A alternator doesn't actually do 100A as battery cables were undersized and I didn't upgrade them, sensing voltage is at alternator and not batteries so alternator cuts back prematurely, and the single belt dusts heavily so really need a double pulley or serpentine belt. Solar looks good if you can fit 200W, if you can orientate them so in full sun all day, and IF the sun shines most days.

Regards
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

Or buy a fuel cell like we did. We can be at an anchorage for days and days, and never run our engine anymore. Expensive, but best thing we ever bought for the boat. It actually changes the way we boat.
Chuck_on_Hudson

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

What fuel is used to feed the fuel cell?

Thanks
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

The fuel cell is made by Efoy and burns methanol. It comes in three different sizes, gives off about the same carbon dioxide that a baby would exhale and maybe half a cup of distilled water a day, which we have draining into a large plastic jug (empty once a year). It operates so quietly you could sleep beside it. You can see my installation by searching youtube: fat cat sailing campbell river.
sargentef

Post by sargentef »

Hey Fat Cat,
We have been toying with the Efoy, what size did you go with?

"Seawing"
hull #309 2005
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

We got the middle sized one, I believe the "80", but I could be wrong, and they could have given the machines different names by now. FYI - we got a better deal on the unit by buying it during a boat show. You may get a discount, or a free jug of methanol, or both. The jug of methanol cost about CDN$80.00 and lasts pretty much the season for us - we're out about four weeks of the year off the dock, that is, not plugged in. Pretty reasonable for heat, hot water, and ice cubes!
sargentef

Post by sargentef »

Fat Cat,
We felt that the "80" was close to our demands in addition with 200 watts of solar.

However I have to ask, how does the Efoy power the water heater and run the reverse air for heat? I understand it keeping the batteries charged to run the fridge/freezer to make ice.

"Seawing"
Haul # 309 2005
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

We have an Espar heater, which heats the hot water tank and also heat in the cabin, if desired. The fuel for the Espar is diesel and the "spark" to run it coming from the batteries... if we have fuel in the tank and full batteries (thanks, Efoy), we are livin' the high life! We are in the Desolation Sound area of BC and therefore have no need for air conditioning.
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

We upgraded to the 80 Balmer with an external regulator. The one thing I'd like to add is that even the Harbor Freight (yeah, I know..) 45 watt 3 panel solar charging system saves us a engine running charge cycle each day in Lake Michigan. I am going to be interested in what the 100 Watt newer system does in south Florida.