Solar Panel

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Fat Cat

Solar Panel

Post by Fat Cat »

I'm looking to add a solar panel(s) for next summer and was wondering if anyone has done so and if there might be some mounting tips or ideas. I would rather avoid the expense of stainless fabrication and was considering using the split backstay somehow. I've even heard because the panels' efficiency drops when shaded by booms, sails, and rigging, that some people simply lay them on the deck in full sun. That sounds a little mickey-mouse, but no matter what method is used, it would be nice if it really works. Thanks.

Fat Cat
TBOT422

Re: Solar Panel

Post by TBOT422 »

Fat Cat,

I haven't added solar panels, but intend to some time in the future. I suppose the first question is what do you intend to accomplish with the solar panels? If all you want to do is keep the batteries topped off while sitting at the dock, then you might get away with a small panel or two that you just lay on the deck. We have several boats in our marina that do that. If what you want to do is provide sufficient power to keep the batteries charged while on the hook or cruising for extended periods, then you need to asses your energy consumption in that environment and size the panels accordingly.

Here's a link http://www.catalina350.net/phpBB3/viewt ... f=19&t=500 to a thread by Bill from Triumph that installed a pair of 120-watt panels above and behind the backstays. When I get around to it, this is the approach I intend to follow. My crude calculations figure that two 120-watt panels should create a charging current of about 20 amps (240/12). If the sun shines 8 hours/day, that's 160 amp-hours, or probably enough to meet my house electrical consumption needs. Of course, there are efficiencies that need to go into this estimate, and the fact that the sun may not shine 8-hours, etc. But I think it's close as is attested by Bill who claims to have spent 3 months in the Bahamas with little other need to re-charge the battery banks.

Good Luck. Keep us informed of your decision and progress, I'm interested in what you learn.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
jking

Post by jking »

Hi,
I bought 4 of the Gantz solar 40W modules with a flexible aluminum back and attached them to my bimini so no additional frame is required. I will take some photos next time I am at the boat and post them here. I needed to do this to prevent obstructing the view from the seats on the rails.
Had it up for a year now, working well so far.
Jan #303.
Attachments
IMG_2271.jpg
IMG_2271.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
IMG_2270.jpg
IMG_2270.jpg (9.13 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
IMG_2273.jpg
IMG_2273.jpg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
Last edited by jking on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

I installed a couple of 130W panels on my bimini a couple of years ago. I built the mounts originally out of aluminum and then a set out of stainless. The cost of building out of stainless was not that great. I used 304 stainless for the tube (I sail in fresh water so 316 was not necessary). And over the counter tube connectors for the hardware. It was a half day job to build and assemble using a small bench top drill press and an angle grinder to cut the tube. i mounted a cross piece tube at the side of the "Y" of the bimini frame. On that tube i mounted 2 T connectors so that 2 short tubes would point up. Then a couple of 90 elbows on the top of the 2 tubes. And then the long tubes go into the 90 elbow across the bimini to the other side. To fasten the panel frames, I used 1" angle perpendicular on the 2 tubes across the bimini, and then pinned the panels into the angle for easy removal. Even though they are fixed panels, we usually have our house bank (4 golf cart batteries) charged by mid morning on sunny days. Sorry no pics and I just pulled the boat for winter storage this past weekend.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342