threading new radio cable to pedestal

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

threading new radio cable to pedestal

Post by nybor »

My Raymarine RAM didn't work when I bought the boat and the repair shop said the cable went bad. So I bought a new one and got it threaded from the main radio to the port side aft locker. (fortunately i could fit into it!). BUT, then I looked at the snakes exiting the small pvc tube on the pedestal where the plug is located and there is NO WAY to get the female connector thru that mess.
has anyone tried this or more importantly succeeded?
thanks in advance
2006 - hull 411
yodagwb

Re: threading new radio cable to pedestal

Post by yodagwb »

You can't use the same deck/plate penetration as the rest of the wires. It took two of us but we dropped a tag line from the top of the helm and were able to use a penetration very near the one everything else seems to go thur. Push comes to shove you could even use the penetration which the steering cable go thru assuming your properly secure the RAM cable.
nybor

Post by nybor »

thanks. I did see the hole near the other two that have the cables thru them. I was considering that one, but not sure if the connector will fit either!
I will look for the other one you mentioned.
thanks again,

dave
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

The instructions that come with the RAM say that you can cut and splice the wire. So you can cut the connector off, run the wire and re-splice it at the radio.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

Dave,
I cut the wire and spliced it under the deck above the rear bunk out of the weather.
I used the old cable to pull the two new ends ,one from the radio and one down from the helm.
I soldered and used shrink tubing to cover each strand and then covered the bundle with more shrink tubing.
About one hour of work or you can enjoy and make it the entire afternoon.
Enjoy

Leigh Weiss
Brisa #155 Upper Chesapeake Bay
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
nybor

Post by nybor »

thanks for the tips. fortunately, another owner said you can get better access via that plastic cover in the aft sleeping quarters. So, i think i will route the cable and then cut, solder and shrink the connector back on.
dave