Fried Wire

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

CaptainLarry2

Fried Wire

Post by CaptainLarry2 »

The green 10G wire leading from the engine (where the DC return is) to a terminal buss behind the nav station circuit breaker panel has overheated to the point werethe insulation has begun to melt along the entire length of the wire - not at the terminals.
To my knowledgethis wire is a safety ground and should carry NO current normally.
Shorepower AC outlets are not in this circuit and do not heat the wire when a load is applied. In fact the condition
is not easy to duplicate. The factory Air C unit does ground to the engine at another location as is suspect but it does not look melted
I had replaced this wire for the same problem 3 years ago and figured it came that way when manufactured.
I watched the wire for one year and all seemed well.
It is back now!
I Suspect AC items like hot water heater, AC unit, battery charger.
I have a background in electronics/networks/electricity but I’m not an electrician.

Any ideas?
Cap Larry
captain.larry@verizon.net
KenKrawford

Re: Fried Wire

Post by KenKrawford »

Larry, I don't have a definitive answer for you but I remember reading a post on the C34 web site about a bizarre electrical problem and it's solution. The reason I remember the post is because it was my old boat! :D Here's the link - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7079 ... l#msg47644

Maybe the troubleshooting that the owner followed will help you run down yours.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA