Wiring solar panels/charge controller.

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

Wiring solar panels/charge controller.

Post by elk »

I've gotten 2 different opinions from tech help at the controller manufacturers.

I have 2 x 200AH batteries, with one on the #1 and the other on the #2, of my OFF-1-2-BOTH battery switch.

One guy told me to wire the output of the controller to the common and that I can leave it on BOTH to charge both batteries. The other guy said I could do that , but if I ever switched it to OFF I would spike 20 volts from the controller into my appliances and fry them.

I thought the appliances were disconnected when the switch was off? Or are they also connected to the common?

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
jking

Re: Wiring solar panels/charge controller.

Post by jking »

Hi,
You would most likely want your batteries to charge regardless of the position of the Battery Selector Switch. It would be best to get a solar charger that can charge two isolated batteries. What you are really saying is that you have a charger designed for a single battery and want it to charge both batteries. In any case the solar charger should be directly connected to the battery (via a fuse) so that charging takes place regardless of the position of the battery switch. If you are to take the battery out, you should make sure the battery switch is off to avoid the voltage spike of 22V if the solar was connected to the electrical circuits without a battery. Dual solar charge units should be easy to find.
Jan King