Running new Alternator output wire

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

BillBerner

Running new Alternator output wire

Post by BillBerner »

I'd like to run a new #10 from the alternator output to the house bank, as has been recommended, but...
Theres no messenger line from the area under the nav station to the engine compartment.
Tough turn to get a fish tape around.
Thoughts? Anybody done it?
As usual, thanks!

Bill Berner
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
Air Mobility

Re: Running new Alternator output wire

Post by Air Mobility »

I did the same upgrade when I installed the 4 golf cart batteries a few years ago. I recall the process being slightly more difficult than I anticipated. I believe I fished the tape from the engine sump to the bilge and then back to the nav station. It will keep you occupied for a good half hour. Good luck.

George
Air Mobility
hull 158
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

I found it easier just to unscrew the cabin sole on the port side and run the wires. Also ran the sense wire for the Xantrex voltage regulator to the battery itself. So the batteries get the full design voltage, despite a little line loss. Makes the high output alternator as "smart as it can be".

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
BillBerner

Post by BillBerner »

Is there access to the bilge undert he teak & holly veneer flooring on the port side. In other places ive looked the flooring is screwed in above solid fiberglass.
Thacks

Bb
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
pdenoncourt

Post by pdenoncourt »

I had the port side sole up just today. There are a couple of access openings; 1 square opening (about 10") about 1 foot forward of the engine compartment and another 6" round opening farther forward near where the battery cables from the starter enter under the port settee. Using these two accesses it should be possible to pass a wire from the alternator to the batteries or electrical panel.
BillBerner

Post by BillBerner »

Excellent bit of news. Thanks!
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
BillBerner

Post by BillBerner »

That was awesomely easy. Driiled a hole thru the floor at the aft onboard corner of the battery compartment. Clear of the batteries and very close to the acess holes.

Actually decided to run a #8 since it was a 10' or so run

Bb
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.