Steaming light and deck light

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

MorningStar

Steaming light and deck light

Post by MorningStar »

My deck light is burned out. Before I climb up the mast to replace the bulb I would like to have a spare in pocket to replace it. Does anyone have an idea of the bulb type or specs for the steaming and deck light, both are in the same fixture. Also has anyone replace them with LED. And has anyone had success with an LED anchor bulb replacement? And if so who is the supplier?
Thanks,
Barry Dupuy
Morning Star #35
R.B.

Re: Steaming light and deck light

Post by R.B. »

I am going by memory here but I think the deck light was an MR16 halogen bulb. The pins were straight, hence the problem with them occasionally falling out.

Here is the link at the Catalina store:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm ... ct_ID=1037

I have not replaced my anchor light with an LED yet. But am hoping to during spring lift in.

-Ralph
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
saileagleswings

Post by saileagleswings »

Barry,

Stix & Rigging replaced my anchor light with a LED light fixture.
sailorbob

Post by sailorbob »

Does anybody know if the deck light is covered by a lens (that would have to be removed before changing the bulb)? There's no lens/cover on mine, but I don't know if that is by design or because the lens fell out.

Bob Fine
"Second Wind" #301
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

Mine did the same thing.
The deck light is covered with a plastic frame and a lens.
I called Hella Marine directly and they sent me a free replacement. I got the number from this board, but cant find it now! Someone help!!
They suggested I use a dab of glue to hold the unit together.
Root cause of the failure seems to be the halyard hitting the fixture and popping out the cover and glass. You will see the cover is "lightly" held in place by two plastic pins and a snap.
An easy fix.

Leigh Weiss "Brisa" #155
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
sailorbob

Post by sailorbob »

Thanks, Leigh. I'll see if Hella will come through - I'm way out of warranty now. This bulletin board is searchable - in the upper right corner. Just type "Hella" and all the posts show up, including the one with Hella's customer service 877 number.

Bob Fine
"Second Wind" #301
Last edited by sailorbob on Tue May 22, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Kujawski

Post by Joe Kujawski »

Bob,

I just replaced all 3 of my mast lights with LEDs. I ordered them from marinebeam.com and here is a copy of my order. I glued the foredeck LED light bulb in place with a tablespoon of clear silicone sealant to hold it firmly in place. My clear cover for the deck light is gone and I didn't bother getting a replacement. These LEDs are expensive, but much more energy efficient and longer lasting. The new deck light is very bright. I paid an extra $5 for greater brightness and I'm very pleased with it. Hope this helps. - Joe

Name Code Qty Each Options
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(FOREDECK LIGHT) MR16 LED Bulb AL-MR16-03 1 $24.95
LED Type = Ultra Bright CREE (+$5)
3W Tri-Lens Power LED
Output Color = Warm White
Tight-Focus Linx

(STEAMING LIGHT) 42mm/44mm Festoon LED FS-42-30C-CW 1 $29.95
Color = Cool White
Cone End Type
Mini-Max

(ANCHOR LIGHT , TOP OF MAST) Bayonet BA15 LED BA-1156-15-CW 1 $15.00
Base Type = BA15S Single-Contact
15-SMD LED