Autopilot Installation Pictures on 2004 C-350

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Joe Kujawski

Autopilot Installation Pictures on 2004 C-350

Post by Joe Kujawski »

A few months ago, I took the plunge and installed a Garmin GHP 12 Autopilot System on Kinja, #192. The installation consists of 5 main components:
1. The Garmin GHC 10 Display/Control Unit mounted at the helm
2. The Garmin Course Computer Unit (baseball-size electronic compass ball) mounted beneath the sole in the V-berth
3. The Garmin Electronic Control Unit (cigar box-size control computer) mounted on a bulkhead in the stern locker beneath the cockpit
4. The Garmin Class A Hydraulic Drive Unit (3-foot long push/pull rod that does the steering)
5. Edson Tiller Arm (heavy brass arm that bolts on to the boat's rudder post and connects to the Hydraulic Drive Unit)

Recognizing that a picture is worth a thousand words, please click on the link below to see images of these components installed. There are descriptive comments for most of the photos. To see the comments, click on the picture to view it full-size and then click on the "i" for more information to see the descriptive comments. Enjoy!

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEUApVR

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95330057@N ... 368794431/

Thanks,

Joe Kujawski
Last edited by Joe Kujawski on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Joe Kujawski
C-350 #192 "Kinja"
Vermilion, Ohio
KenKrawford

Re: Autopilot Installation Pictures on 2004 C-350

Post by KenKrawford »

Great job Joe. The pictures were fantastic. Consider writing this up for the next Mainsheet. My only concern is regarding the 1.4 ft of water depth ! :lol:
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Joe,

Excellent job and documentation.

Two questions:

1. To clear the sole, it looks like the ram in installed at a slight angle (down at rudder stock end). Wonder if a 1" or so spacer block on the ram to sole mount would bring the ram into perfect alignment.

2. This applies to Autohelm and Raymarine pilots and others-- may or may not apply to this pilot-- I have no experience with the Garmin pilot or its ram. Just part of the setup/location of the ram pivot closer or further from the rudder stock-- have you confirmed that the ram stops just short of the rudder stops (like 1/4" from stops port and starboard), as these rams have a LOT of torque and if allowed to run to the stops, can do damage.

Brett
Last edited by wolfe10 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Joe Kujawski

Post by Joe Kujawski »

Hi Brett,

Yes - Proper positioning of the hydraulic drive unit (ram) is critical, and a bit of a trial and error process. In fact, I spent more time figuring out the placement of the ram unit than any other part of the project.

Regarding your first question, yes, you are correct that the ram is not perfectly level, but that's OK. There are heavy duty universal joints at both ends of the ram and it doesn't matter if one end is higher or lower than the other. In fact, because the C-350 rudder post is installed at an angle, the levelness of the ram constantly changes as the boat is steered. This is perfectly acceptable and is normal. The only critical thing here is that the ram unit must not be installed upside down or on it's side. Garmin says that it will still function even if installed on it's side, and that is an acceptable installation, however, they say that the unit will wear out faster if mounted on it's side. Due to the forces involved, I would not recommend adding a spacer. It's serves zero benefit and just adds more fasteners to the design and things to go wrong. Garmin never mentions any spacers to make the unit level.

Regarding your 2nd question, you are incorrect. Just the opposite is true, regarding the rudder stops. Quoting Garmin instructions: "The drive unit must be limited by the rudder end stops, and not the drive unit itself. The drive unit must be limited by physical end stops. Failure to install end stops will cause the unit to act as a travel limiter, and will damage the drive unit." In other words, the rudder travel must be shorter than the ram can extend. This might sound counter-intuitive, but in fact, during the dockside setup, the unit automatically runs through the full range of rudder movement and then "memorizes" where the physical end stops are. To stay within the travel distance of the ram, I had 2 variables to work with: 1.) Location of the aft end of the ram, under the swim platform step, and 2.) Hole location on the brass tiller arm. Choosing a hole on the tiller arm closer to the rudder post shortens the travel distance required of the ram. I got this wrong on my first attempt and had to choose a hole closer to the rudder post. In fact, if you look closely at the pictures of my rudder arm, you will notice that I first drilled the hole farthest out on the end of the tiller arm, thinking it would provide more leverage and be easier on the ram unit. But then I found that that caused the ram to travel too far, and so I had to relocate to a hole closer to the rudder post. No big deal, as the brass drills easily, but I had to remove and reinstall the tiller arm to drill the 2nd hole.

Your questions are exactly why I posted all of the pictures. I went into this project without that benefit, and it took a long time for me to figure out the placement for all of the various components of the autopilot on the C-350. With the benefit of these pictures, the project can be done in a third of the time.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Kujawski
C-350 #192 "Kinja"
Vermilion, Ohio
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Thanks, Joe.

Yes, the "ram should put the rudder against the stop" is contrary to all the autopilots I have installed over the last 15 years, but indeed, I have no experience with the Garmin unit.

Appreciate the info on what appears to be the newest generation of autopilots.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Joe Kujawski

Post by Joe Kujawski »

Hi Brett,

Yeah - I think the electronics must have evolved to a point where the installation is different on the newer autopilot drive units.

I just checked the installation instructions on 9 different models of Raymarine Autohelm under-cockpit drive units, hydraulic and mechanical, from the Raymarine website, and they all contain the following warning, in big bold type: "Make sure rudder movement is limited by the steering system end stops before the push rod reaches its end stop. Failure to do this could damage the drive and will invalidate the warranty." And also, "Check that the total rudder movement is limited to +/- 35 degrees by the steering system end stops rather than the linear drive’s end limits."

During the dockside initiation procedures, the rudder is moved through its full travel arc and the electronics of the system notes the end stop locations. This prevents the push rod from pushing beyond the end stops, yet it allows full range of steering for the boat.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Kujawski
C-350 #192 "Kinja"
Vermilion, Ohio
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Joe,

Indeed Autohelm/Raymarine could have written it a little more clearly. There are actually two different issues being addressed here. I believe you are correctly addressing the first issue, I the second one. Both are an important part of setting up a linear drive Autohelm/Raymarine. So "everyone is correct".

Yes, from the Raymarine site:

Having installed the drive unit, turn the steering wheel from
hardover to hardover to check that: The mechanical limit stop on yacht’s steering system is
reached before the drive unit reaches its mechanical limit

What this means is that the drive unit should never go to full extension or to full compression.

BUT ( a big asterisks):

Rudder limit
The rudder limit function enables you to set the limits of autopilot
rudder control just inside the mechanical end stops, and thereby avoid
putting the steering system under unnecessary load.
The adjustment
range is from 15° to 40° of rudder movement.
If your boat is fitted with a rudder reference transducer, set the autopilot
rudder limit as follows:
1. Manually set the rudder to each end stop (port and starboard), and
in each case use the rudder bar on the display, to determine the
end-stop angle.
2. Access the rudder limit screen (RUD LIMIT).
3. Set the autopilot rudder limit so that it is 5° less than the smallest
(port or starboard) mechanical end stop angle.
Last edited by wolfe10 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Joe Kujawski

Post by Joe Kujawski »

Thanks Brett!

That's what I like about sailing. There is seemingly an unlimited amount of learning in all of the facets of the sport.

Have a wonderful New Year to you and yours. We are waiting for Spring up here in the frozen north.

Joe
Joe Kujawski
C-350 #192 "Kinja"
Vermilion, Ohio
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Sounds like we need to do a little "weather trade".

It is 74 degrees and I was out mowing the yard.

Boat is begging to "go out and play" but the Admiral (ya, I get to be captain, but Dianne is the "ranking officer") said yard work came first.

She even pulled that "ranking officer" line on the U.S. Customs guy a couple of years ago when we were returning from the Bahamas. Only the Captain is allowed off the boat until it is cleared by customs. Well, I was refueling, topping up water, etc (i.e. Captain chores) so Dianne went to the customs phone to call in our clearance numbers. They asked are you the captain? NO, but I AM the ranking officer. Well, he would either laugh, or we would be in for a LONG boarding inspection-- he laughed and cleared us.

BTW, I learned to sail up your way at Culver.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Joe Kujawski

Post by Joe Kujawski »

Brett,

Are you referring to Culver Academies in Culver, Indiana?

Joe
Joe Kujawski
C-350 #192 "Kinja"
Vermilion, Ohio
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Brett,

Are you referring to Culver Academies in Culver, Indiana?

Joe

YES.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Jwerkjr

Post by Jwerkjr »

Hi Joe,
I just purchased a 2004 C350 and I’m in the early stages of installing a B an G Ram drive AP using the same tiller arm that you used. I’m wondering if your tiller had to be drilled out for the bolt that goes through the center of the rudder post? Mine is only drilled out on the outside but not the inside. Seems that should have been predrilled. Any further advice on locating the ram? I have the general location but hoping to avoid as much trial and error as possible.

Thanks for posting the numerous photos! They will be very helpful!

Thanks,
Joe Werkmeister
Hull # 141
Medford NY