Replacement 4d batteries and charger?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

johnthejetpilot

Replacement 4d batteries and charger?

Post by johnthejetpilot »

Hello fellow C350 sailors. I know this topic has been covered a lot, but my two 5 yr+ year old non-AGM 4D batteries are in need of replacement. While I’m at it, I’d like to replace charger under chart table also. Marina quoted $575/each for Interstate batteries. Are AGM closed cell batteries (Lifeline brand) worth the extra expense? We sail on Lake Mi out of Kenosha. Anchor out 3-5days/season and most of our sailing is 1-3days/week in the 5months of summer. Thanks for any recommendations. For a variety of reasons, I’m not interested in the golf cart battery option. We Love the boat. It’s perfect for the Admiral and I.

John McFadden
Ave Maria
2004 C350#212
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
scott.monroe

Re: Replacement 4d batteries and charger?

Post by scott.monroe »

Hi John,

One size does not fit all when it comes to batteries. Remember all three types (wet cells, Gel, AGM) are lead acid. The traditional wet cells are "inexpensive", ~$290 each and work as advertised and will give you at least 3 years service depending on use. Draw back is you need to remove them in the winter for fear of freezing (happens when charge is depleted and electrolyte becomes mostly water). AGM, which I keep in my boat, are great (happy I made the change from wet cell). More expensive (~$590 /ea) but last ~ 5 yrs, faster recharge and most importantly don't need to be pulled off the boat in the winter. I do spend considerable time anchoring out with refrigerator and stereo blasting, so good AGM batteries and 300W of solar charging is a must for me.

Above all else, which ever way you go, both batteries have to be replaced at the same time with the same type of battery.
Take care,
Scott
Scott Monroe
C350 #409 / Southern Yankee
North Kingstown, RI
CaptainLarry2

Post by CaptainLarry2 »

Scott
I have a Charles 30 amp battery charger remanufactured directly from Charles for sale - never used
It is an EXACT replacement for yours. I can sell it for $100 saving you hundreds. Charge profile is switchable from AGM to flooded cell. Interested Call/txt Larry 3025621899
skimsail

Post by skimsail »

I used to be at the Southgate marina with 390 and 350 later. Anyway, the Battery and bulb store on rt50 in Kenosha carries 4D batteries ($150) that I used and really liked them. While AGM technology works well for some folks, I believe in checking the inner status of battery, i.e., sg. The last 2 I installed in my 390 were in a great shape when I sold the boat about 5 years ago and believe they are still working. You take care of them and check sg occasionally, keep them charged and keep the level over the plates. After an overnight, you need charge the house battery anyway regardless AGM or flooded. Shaun
Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Another Southport alum here... now in the salty waters of Rhode Island!

We have never taken the batteries (4Ds) out during the winters here nor in Wisconsin. I top off the water just before we leave her for the winter and I remove both positive and negative leads from all batteries to make sure we aren't getting any leakage current (e.g. Fusion stereo) during the winter.

Never had a problem with freezing (even through a couple of very cold winters) as long as they are fully charged and water levels are good.

Replaced the standard Charles charger with a ProNautic 1230P in 2012 and it has been great. Has a nice reconditioning cycle for wet cells which greatly extends their life. I added a third battery for engine start in addition to the two house 4Ds and it charges all three. Only issue with my model and vintage of this charge is that all three batteries must be of the same type (i.e. you can't mix AGM and wet cells).

I also purchased a Solar BA44 battery tester and log the readings each spring and fall. Gives a great heads-up when a battery is slowly fading.

Enjoy Lake Michigan-
Bob
Guinevere
johnthejetpilot

Thanks for all the input and feedback! Really like the 5 year warranty on the Lifeline brand and have had great luck with them in the past, so decided to replace the Interestate non-AGM with 2 Lifeline GPL-4DL. Will try and post feedback based on performance next season..
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
man4sail

Post by man4sail »

I replaced my two 4d's with four 6 volt Trojan golf cart batteries. They are designed for abuse. I’m in Michigan and leave them on the boat (stored outside during the winter. I do have 290 watts of solar panels so they don’t freeze even in sub zero temps. I check things twice a winter and top off the water when needed. Much easier to handle than 4d's. There is also a separate 12 volt starter battery. I put in an isolator and bypass switch if the house gets too low. Only had to use it once.
johnthejetpilot

Thx again for all the input. To ensure wiring is correct after installing new AGM batteries, I’m just doing a wiring validation..can anyone post or message me a pix of their battery terminals (connected to leads for powering boat). I have the standard 2 battery setup (no start batt or solar)..
Ave Maria
Hull 212
Kenosha, WI
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Take a picture of your present setup before swapping out your new batteries.
You should have a large diameter red wire going to the positive terminals of both batteries. These lead back to the ALL-1-2 battery selector switch. There should be a smaller diameter red wire going to the positive terminal of both batteries. These lead back to your charger. There is one large diameter black wire going to a negative battery terminal and a short length of large diameter black wire going between the negative terminal of each battery. There should also be 1 smaller diameter black wire on a negative battery terminal leading back to the charger.
Before connecting your new batteries, be sure to take a wire brush or wire wheel on an electric drill and clean up the ring terminals on the end of each cable. I also usually put a small dab of dielectric grease on the ring terminals. Don't forget to change the charger switch to AGM. Unfortunately you have to unmount the charger to access the switch on the back. You may also have to disconnect the AC and DC wiring connections to the charger. Be sure to label them before disconnecting.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA