Raymarine Autopilot

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

Raymarine Autopilot

Post by nybor »

Hi.
Has anyone had the autopilot's screen say "No Pilot". I had a tech look at the system and didn't know what was going on. (Even though his company says Raymarine service repair.........)

thanks

dave

ps as an aside, anyone in Sarasota who knows of a knowledgeable company re: Raymarine systems?
KevinMc

Re: Raymarine Autopilot

Post by KevinMc »

On the B&G "No pilot" means there isn't an autopilot connected. I've seen the "no pilot" alarm in two modes; (1) I haven't turned on the autopilot, (2) the display unit isn't seeng the autopilot when it's turned on. In my case I had to replace the faulty display unit.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
nybor

Post by nybor »

Thanks. I have checked power etc.

I do have a strange question though. Where is the fluxgate compass located? It is a 2006 350 (#411). The reason is the autopilot was working - didn't try using it for a couple of months, installed an ultrasonic barnacle plaster system (3modules) on the hull and now the autopilot says "No Pilot". I wonder if there is a connection or electro-magnetic interference if the compass is near the transducer. I did try turning the blaster system off, but if the transducers have a large permanent magnet........turning off wouldn't help.

I would like to update my ST6002 stuff with something from this century. Had to replace the depth/speed module with the i7000 (I think it is 7000) last year, so it is a start.

anybody done this? (stupid question, since Leigh has for sure!)

thanks

dave
Flagmanmike

Post by Flagmanmike »

I have the same question, so I called Catalina in Largo FL. They suggested looking under the aft berth mattresses. I haven't done that yet, but plan to soon.

Mike Cronin
Hull 314, FlagShip
Capt. Nini

Post by Capt. Nini »

The installation manual for the PD 500 Flux gate compass dictates the installation location should be: 1. On boat centerline 2. As far away from ferris material as possible 3. As close to the center of gravity as possible 4. Away from vibration.

I would look in the forward berth under the bed port side cabinet.
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

Dave and all who seek the holy flux-gate grail ,
Mine is located on the aft bulkhead in the port locker under the the counter top in the aft cabin. I found it when i stored a vacuum cleaner in that locker and the auto pilot stopped working and gave lots of errors.
After removing the vacuum and other can goods, I had to re swing the compass following the instructions in the set-up for the auto pilot. all is now well.
Happy hunting.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

Mine, hull #357, is in aft cabin, port side, lower cabinet on the aft wall.
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357
nybor

Post by nybor »

Thanks folks. Of course, as soon as I posted the query, I remembered I saw it hidden in the port aft lower locker (say that fast 10 times).

But, nice to know there are 350 sailors much smarter than I (is it "me"?)

dave
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

Mine is located in the port aft locker - upper part. When they were building my hull they must have been using a different guy. Probably the instructions were: "Install the compass in the locker back aft. Where? Anywhere you want."
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
markws1852

Post by markws1852 »

Mine is located along the bulkhead that separates the head from the saloon area on the port side (in the storage locker).

Mark Schlussel
C350 #300
nybor

Post by nybor »

ok, You all passed the first part of the Take-home quiz (Leigh and I are old (well he is) professors, so can't help ourselves.

Question, where is the "junction box"? So far, i know where the compass is and the "computer". I say computer since it is where one attaches the various instruments.

Maybe a loose wire is located in the junction box.

thanks

dave

ps. no cheating, you are on the honor system. The Forum has also taken over everyone's computer and is monitoring its usage. So......
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

Dave,
Please be more specific about the "junction box" Is it for the autopilot flux gate compass?
Mine is wired directly into the instrument head with no junction box for wire splices. I have traced it through the steering pedestal directly to the flux gate head.
i don't know of any other junction boxes in the system.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
markws1852

Post by markws1852 »

Mine is mounted behind the wood instrument panel above the nav station. There are four mounting screws that hold the panel in place. I've changed out the computer twice--once when upgrading to the latest autopilot and previous to that when sending the unit to Raymarine for service.

Mark Schlussel
Legal Tender III #300
FLCaptBill

Post by FLCaptBill »

markws1852 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:49 am Mine is mounted behind the wood instrument panel above the nav station. There are four mounting screws that hold the panel in place. I've changed out the computer twice--once when upgrading to the latest autopilot and previous to that when sending the unit to Raymarine for service.

Mark Schlussel
Legal Tender III #300
Mark - Which autopilot did you upgrade to? Was it a Raymarine product?