Inverter Upgrade Question

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KevinMc

Inverter Upgrade Question

Post by KevinMc »

I'm looking at installing a Xantrex PROwatt SW 2000, Pure Sine Wave Inverter in the now empty TV cabinet. (The original TV was tossed for a flat screen.) The Admiral cannot deal with anything other than a Keurig. (Please, let's let's not start on coffee making. Sometimes it's just easier to agree with the Admiral.)

Does anyone have any feedback on the inverter or thoughts with running the DC wiring to the space? It looks like a rather easy upgrade and Xantrex recommends not having over a 6ft run of wiring and this may be closer to 8ft with the twists and turns needed to get it there. The Keurig would only be running for a few minutes per cup so I don't think the power loss or resistance using 4AWG wiring would be an issue.

The real goal is to run AC wiring from the inverter over to the galley and have a dedicated inverter powered AC plug when we are on the hook.

Thoughts?
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
leigh weiss

Re: Inverter Upgrade Question

Post by leigh weiss »

Keven,
I mounted my zantrex 2KW inverter/charger on the rear bulkhead below the nav chart table. The DC wire runs were short and the AC wiring feeds the boat AC panel. My inverter has a relay that auto switches from shore power to inverter power so I use the ships electrical distribution system with no additional AC outlets.
My model has a built in 100Amp DC charger which runs when Shore power or the Generator is on.
A separate control (Link 2000) is used to control and monitor the AC and DC systems.
I added a 120 amp alternator and ARS 5 voltage regulator which allows for the running of the microwave or any appliances up to about 1400 watts.
If you don't have a model inverter with a built in relay you could use an AC "AB" switch or twin circuit breakers to lock out each AC circuit ( an XOR) configuration.
Hope this helps
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

When Xantrex recommends no more than 6' what size wire are they assuming? They have to assume max output/load.
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

I'm thinking the same thing; 6ft max length is probably for 2000w continuous load. Two minutes at 1200w to get a cup of java out of the Keurig for the Admiral I just don't see building up enough heat in the wires to become an issue. And unless I can train a mouse to pull DC cable, installing the inverter in the old TV space is a much easier process.

We have a generator, but running "Jenny" to make a cup of coffee is just too much. We usually reserve the generator for those times we need the A/C or I'm looking to recharge the house batteries.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I mounted my inverter under the port side settee just forward of the battery compartment. This required a very short cable run between the batteries and the inverter. I then ran the 110vac output to a transfer switch near the main panel. I was able to isolate the port and starboard outlets from the rest of the 110vac system so I don't have to worry about draining the battery because I forgot to turn off the hot water heater breaker.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

I was thinking of the same spot as a location but I have a start battery in the space. The inverter installation instructions state you should not mount the inverter by the batteries since the batteries vent off explosive gases and could corrode the inverter. I'm not sure the true danger since you would need some serious venting from the battery and a spark but probably not worth it.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

There are many wire sizing calculators on-line. Why not look up the run/loose for the recommended wire and then find the equal for an 8' run? You should be able to off set the run increase with a wire guage up grade.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

KevinMc wrote:I was thinking of the same spot as a location but I have a start battery in the space. The inverter installation instructions state you should not mount the inverter by the batteries since the batteries vent off explosive gases and could corrode the inverter. I'm not sure the true danger since you would need some serious venting from the battery and a spark but probably not worth it.
I also have my starting battery there but in 10 years I've never used it. It's a "last resort" if my bank of golf cart batteries dies. I knew about the off gassing potential but didn't worry about it due to the extremely low likelihood that the inverter would be in use when that battery was charging.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA